HDX900 and Firestore 100

Stoney

Howdy, I just shot a project for another shooter that setup his FS-100 to capture from the HDX900. The shoot was 720/30p and the Firestore was configured to capture quicktime files (not native).

The producer (who is also editing the project) is new to the firestore (as am I). Producer is not excited about having the clips in 1.9gig chunks, which is how they are organized on the firestore. He wants each clip to end when I stop recording so that he has each individual shot separated out.

How do you do this? Is it possible to organize the media in Final Cut after we've shot already. Can you do it in the firestore before outputting the material to another hard drive? Is the metadata there to separate the footage out, if recorded in quicktime format?

Finally, what is the preferred Firestore recording setting: quicktime or p2? What is the advantage of either and what is the advantage (or disadvantages) of using the PN settings of quicktime or P2?

The producer doesn't want to dump all the 1.9gig clips into a sequence and trim from there. He wants all the shots separated, instead.

Necktie Boy

If I remember correctly, the Firestore is formated at FAT32. There is a 2 gig limit. I don't think it matters what format you use. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong!
Saying that.....After you import the files in FCP, you can create sub-clips from the footage. In this manner, you can have each clip by itself. A little more work, but everything will be organized.

Stoney

Yes, I think you are right with the formatting at FAT32. That explains the 2gig limit. However, the producer is trying to avoid creating sub-clips in FCP. He wants each shot delineated to it's own file in the Firestore. How do you get the Firestore to do that? Can you do it, not manually in FCP but automatically, after recording somehow?

Also, need to know about the Quicktime vs. P2 settings and what are the advantage/disadvantages of each. Similarly, P2n and QTn adv/disadv of each.