HD in the lounge?

Ben Longden

I have a confession.

I have only just picked up and played with my first ever HD (AVCHD) camera.. Its not mine, but a toy to play with for a few days before its jealous owner wants it back.

The question I have for my learned bretheren is this.... how the 'eck do I get a file to play on the loungeroom TV?

Obviously plugging the camera directly to the set via HDMI works fine, but what about being able to cut vision on the PC and then produce a file that will play in HD from either the BluRay player, a DVD ROM, or a simple thumb drive plugged into the DVD Player?

What format is best for this?

I just shoot news with a DSR-570......this is rather an embarrassing confession....

Ben

grinner

If you grab a bluray player that will loop, that'd work fine. Otherwise you can make a DVD with a looped data file.

zac love

Even more for what format, but what wrapper?

I have a Sony Z7U & can pop out the Compact Flash cards into my PS3 & play the files in beautiful HD. But after I edit in FCP it is hard to get it to play on the PS3 since the HDV files are in QuickTime wrappers.

Same format, different wrapper. .M2T worked in the PS3, .MOV didn't.

A lot depends on the HD Player you're using & what software you have.

If you can export something in a playable file (most likely some flavor of h264) & it should work on a thumb drive or USB hard drive. Though "should" is the key word.

Also, don't be embarrassed unless you work in a post house, because all these formats are confusing & frustrating as heck. Good luck!