Has anyone had success on Linkedin?

BluesCam

I have been on linkedin for years with no positive results, only people trying to sell to me. I tried to join some non production oriented groups, but they treated me like a telemarketer (even though I wasn't making a sales pitch).
I'm on Stage32 as well, but don't know what to think of it. Any comments?

Thx.

Starman

I think it is an indirect influence, definitely gets my name in more production circles, more producers and fellow camera men and women know my name, directors, etc. Then, when my name pops up, it's like "oh yeah, I know him"

BluesCam

That sounds about right, Starman. As far as new work... zip. And nobody seems to know anything about Stage32.

Starman

It still has an influence I think, indirectly, get's your name in people's heads. Facebook, that is fantastic social networking. If anyone want's to friend me I'm under "Jacques Star"

cyndygreen1

linkedin really is not active networking so much as (as Jacques says above) a way to be in the back of folk's minds. I have gotten a few jobs through facebook strangely enough.

Icarus112277

I've never gotten any work directly from it, but I have a very large network which can see what I'm up to.

Plus when I e-mail back and forth with new clients, I include my profile in my tag. This allows the client to see who else we know in common and view my entire work history at once.

I'm certain the profile has firmed the deal for the client many times.

I've also gotten work by seeing where my connections are getting work- ie if I see a bunch of people (especially management) updating their statuses I can get advance notice of new productions. On the other side of a coin if I see a bunch of people jumping a particular ship I know where to avoid.

LinkedIn and my phone's connections have completely replaced my rolodex.

BluesCam

All I have received is sales messages and some endorsements. No requests to meet about any projects.

Starman

Does anybody know the way to get the proper URL to put a linked in profile tag in your signature of your e-mail?

cyndygreen1

Go to your linkedin profile...just under your avatar is a blue box labelled "view profile as" and under that is a url with pub/yourname in it. I'm pretty sure that is the public link...at least that's what I use for various forms.