Hardware / Software

Rad

When running Edius 4.* on a laptop computer, is it possible to output your project as composite video? what sort of output device would I need?

Necktie Boy

HD takes more horsepower. DCProHD is the only format that can be played back via firewire through the deck(1200/1400). The P2 unit with the LCD and HD-SDI out is the other unit that can play out HD. $22k for the deck...$3k for P2 unit.
I don't have the model number handy of the P2 unit.
Maybe someone can jump in and tells us how XDCam HD can go via firewire?

Canonman

Maybe someone can jump in and tells us how XDCam HD can go via firewire?
Only in file transfer mode. No streaming HD with XDCAM HD over firewire. You can switch the firewire port to AV/C and use it to get a DVCAM downconvert (with optional 16:9 crop to 4:3) from HD material.

cm

SupaMusk

Quick question while on the topic of hardware, anybody knows what the best video card to run avid on a desktop. also with a dual vga

- Thanks

Necktie Boy

SupaMusk,

Avid is picky on what video card you run. Also, the cards are outdated....
I ended up getting an Avid approved NVDIA FX 1300. It was under $100 bucks.
Currently I have a Dell 2407 running 1920 x 1200. I believe it will run two monitors
at that rate. It should be able to run 2 VGA's. The downside it only had 128meg, but the next step up is the FX1400. Last time I priced it, $400 bucks....
Some users are using the 7600 series with good results, but it didn't do 1920 for my monitor. So, I passed on it, but the price on the FX 1300 was too good to pass up. Using Xpress Pro HD 5.7

Necktie Boy

Thanks Canonman
I do have another XDCam questions. Even with a regular XDCam deck via firewire, you cannot monitor the picture. Correct?

SupaMuck,
You might want to go the the Avid site and read some of the advice on video cards. After reading many post, using the Avid Approved card will save you lots of headaches. I have a few till I used an Avid approved card. I did have an ATI card, it did work, but I had to work around some of the problems. The biggest problem is that you cannot get full window playback on the monitor. A nice feature in Avid. Also a warning pops up as you load Avid, saying you have an error.

Canonman

I do have another XDCam questions. Even with a regular XDCam deck via firewire, you cannot monitor the picture. Correct?
That is correct. HD monitoring is only through HDSDI or component. You can get an optional board for one of the decks that allow it to ingest and output HDV. So that would be the only scenario I can think of that would give you some type of HD signal over firewire.

cm