Got a question for you Chiefs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natural Born Stringer

If you had a newbie send you a rock solid demo reel, even though it was shot on VHS, would you consider hiring that person and training them for the other aspects of the job (how to set up a live shot, how to run the NLE, etc)

Here's why I'm asking: I'm looking at yet another layoff at the end of this year, and the whole "looking for work every 18 months" thing is getting old. I know I wouldn't have a chance of commanding the same salary I'm getting as an IT guy, but not having to constantly look for work would be well worth the pay cut. And I could always freelance the computer skills I have on the side to make up for it. Besides, who wouldn't want a photog who can also fix computers and help you with that confounded Word document or Excel spreadsheet? :D

Seriously, should I put together a tape and see what happens or should I consider going back to school if I want to have a chance? (Please don't make me go back to school - I can only stand so much teenage I'm-going to-college-and-I-know-it-all mentality. I have a friend that's my age who's getting a business degree right now and he tells me it's all he can do to keep from bitch-slapping these kids.)

Thanks everyone, I look forward to reading the replies.

El Guapo

I would...and I have. If someone understands the mechanics of video composition and editing, and has obvious talent, then i'd want them on my staff. Teaching someone to use Avid or how to run a live truck is the easy part.

And, I too am afraid of going back to college.

Status
Not open for further replies.