GoPro bad for your health?

cameragod

A friend of mine was in a kite boarding accident.. he set the kite up wrong and it dragged him out of control onto land and he suffered a major concussion. The doctor said what may have saved his life was the decision not to mount his GoPro on its helmet mount. The force at which he hit would have driven the camera through his helmet and into his brain. Apparently there is a suggestion that this may have be a contributing factor in Michael Schumacher’s accident.
The doctor said he was seeing a lot more injuries aggravated by GoPro’s.
Anyway something to think about next time you put one on.

http://road.cc/content/news/133135-did-michael-schumacher’s-helmet-cam-cause-brain-injury

A friend of mine was in a kite boarding accident.. he set the kite up wrong and it dragged him out of control onto land and he suffered a major concussion. The doctor said what may have saved his life was the decision not to mount his GoPro on its helmet mount. The force at which he hit would have driven the camera through his helmet and into his brain. Apparently there is a suggestion that this may have be a contributing factor in Michael Schumacher’s accident.
The doctor said he was seeing a lot more injuries aggravated by GoPro’s.
Anyway something to think about next time you put one on.

http://road.cc/content/news/133135-did-michael-schumacher’s-helmet-cam-cause-brain-injury
Interesting I can see how the go pro assembly could cause what would otherwise be a spread out impact to become a point impact but I would think that if this was really happening there would be more stories of failed helmets starting to surface. For that matter I have been wondering for some time if helmet makers would start building in reinforced integral go pro mounts. I could see them having other uses on say a climbing helmet similar to a cold shoe mount on a camera.

Land Rover

Helmets are strong. I would think the GoPro case and camera would shatter before the helmet and the skull are compromised. I have thought that it could catch a helmet and cause it to twist the head and neck to the side where otherwise it wouldn't if there wa snothing on the helmet.

cameragod

Actually helmets are designed to break... shot a story in a helmet factory... to spread the impact, a GoPro (or other camera) on a helmet could be driven into the head, its just something we should think about safety wise. Hate to be the first court case because someone claimed they got hurt with a camera I had mounted.