Getting paid by credit card

acton

As I spend part of my day today sending out over due notices, I began wondering about moving to a credit card system and taking payment at the end of the day.

I'm sure we can spend hours telling stories about not getting paid on time, but I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has moved in this direction.

Anyone using Square Credit Card readers? Pros? Cons?

Thanks,

acton

Run&Gun

You're gonna pay a percentage to the CC company. I'm not sure what you'll have to pay with Square, but your typical business that accepts credit cards pays in the 3% ballpark per charge. I've heard debit(check) cards are usually a flat fee somewhere in the $.25+ neighborhood, at least that's what a friend of mine said he was paying when he owned a bar about 8-9 years ago.

And if a client is the type that really wants to screw you no matter what, they still can by contesting the charges after the shoot. They may or may not "win" that, but just remember that a CC is not guaranteed payment.

acton

Thanks for the advice RG. Yeah I know there'd be a percentage. Would prefer to lose a small percentage for less time spent chasing problem payers.

2 Hungry Dogs

I recently got a square and am happy with it. I don't use it that often, but its a good option for me. I had a Merchant Services account for a while, and they charged $19.95/month just to be a customer. Square has a slightly higher % rate, but no monthly charge.

Joel,

Do you find that a fair percentage of your clients want to/ can pay by card. From where I sit with most of mine it is a situation where it has to go through some kind of accounting process to be authorized on all but the smallest jobs. I would also like to switch to a square setup but don't know if it would be used but a couple of times a year.

acton

Thanks for the info guys. True that some clients have the account process, but I think for certain clients its an option. The percent trade off versus spending time chasing money earned and is what I think makes it a viable option. Appreciate hearing your thoughts. Cheers. Barry.