Gear Inspections

Tallinvegas

I wanted to know if some of the other CP's do monthly or yearly gear inspections of the photo staff? What pros or cons do you have with inspections?

Necktie Boy

Not a CP, but it depends if the gear is shared. I check my personal gear every six months to see that everything it there and working fine. If the gear is shared or the staff is hard on equipment, I would check it every month. I remember going out with a camera that fell apart on me. The head, the deck, and the battery came apart. Lucky, it was in the back of the car.

Yearly

I plan on checking yearly. Just starting last May, I requested photogs fill out their inventory last July. This spring, i plan on going through the gear myself and seeing what changed from last year, and how it corresponds to my records. It's my first go-round with the system, so I don't know how it works yet.

Pros - I keep tabs on inventory, I see how photogs treat gear.

Cons - it takes time

Last edited:

Spot remover

Here's a way to ease the burden:

Tell photog X that on Monday ( or tomorrow or now or whenever) you'll be taking inventory on his gear. Then tell him to lay it all out on a conference room table or similar convenient spot at that time.

Now, go in with your blank inventory sheet and start taking the inventory with his help. This way, you won't be hauling gear all over creation, you can get instant explanations on missing/broken gear and when you're done, they can put it away (you can help, of course).

I'd reccommed giving 48 hours notice because they know what's missing and will have time to track things down. Make sure everything is marked clearly and consistently so photogs aren't passing around gear to make up for a missing light head or broken stand. This is where an engraver is your friend.

Remember too, the point isn't to find a reason to punish, but to maintain proper gear levels for better news coverage. Those who are rough on gear or have lost something major may have to answer for it though- in whatever way you see fit (a talking to, letter in file, shaking a finger at them, etc.)

good luck!

zac love

Also use the time to hear suggestions about what gear is never used, what gear the photog would like to have, etc.

Inspection time could turn into a one on one visit with Santa.

MatttEaly

At my station we all have to share the gear. So what I have is a sign out sheet, and have everyone inspect what they have and how it's working when they bring it in and when they take it out. That way when some one takes the gear out if there happens to be a problem or something is missing, they bring it to my attention and I check with whoever had it last to figure out the cause of the problem. I also do a regular inspection at least once a week. Now keeping in mind that I am in a small market and we only have two sets of gear for news and two for sports, so I have a little more time to spare. Since we started this though, we have not had as many issues as we were before.

zac love

At my station we all have to share the gear. .... Now keeping in mind that I am in a small market and we only have two sets of gear for news and two for sports, ... Since we started this though, we have not had as many issues as we were before.
Do you really have equal news & sports coverage? If not, you need more cameras.

Also, you might be the only shop in the nation that shared gear works.

Although, my experience with shared gear was so bad at so many levels. Mostly I point to the management that didn't want to spend money, fix problems, or even review sign out sheets. Guess what, most of the staff started acting just like the management... lazy & apathetic.

I completely believe that the more you can assign to one person, the longer it will last.

Tallinvegas

We are lucky enough here that we all have our own gear and take home trucks. It’s not something that as ever Benn done here and the last two CP's did not leave a gear list of who has what. When a new photog starts I do an inventory of every thing that I assign him. These inspections are more of a way to keep the guys accountable for there gear and truck.

Unless one happens to both have their own gear and literally have it exclusively in their own possession all of the time; it would simply be both common sense and CYA to check the equipment on as much of a regular basis as possible. It appears as though too many stations are cutting corners in having proper equipment available all of the time- along with some back-up for a type of insurance.

Also imagine what it might look like to a supervisor to have to try to explain damage to equipment which actually was not ones fault; and that it might not look too good on ones eval. -Or better yet missing a story to a rather small equipment failure.

MatttEaly

NOW THATS WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING, lol. Yeah you pretty much nailed it with the not wanting to spend money. We just got approved for two new hvx 200 P2s, actually 4, 2 for sports and 2 for us.

I don't know if I would say that it "works", lol. But we manage.

I actually started the sign out sheet after I became CP, because everything was so chaotic.

Maybe in your case you might want to consider a monthly inventory checklist, that you could go over with them, checking that everything is there and in working order at the end of every month.. It's amazing how just by making something routine how much smoother life can become for the team. Just an idea.