FORD EXPLORER'S

Status
Not open for further replies.

mknisely

We just got a new fleet of 02' and 03' Ford Explorers. Were having trouble finding places to mount 2-ways and the BC785D Scanners. So far, we installed 2 SUV's with the 2-ways and Scanners, but they are in the center console, and takes up a lot of space. Does anyone have any experience with this? Love to know some different configurations out there!

Sportsguy

On our 2002's, we mounted the 2-way on the passenger side of the console, close to the floor. It's not the most comfortable of setups, but it gets the job done. After all, they're not the most comfortable of cars, either. Unfortunately, the placement blocks off one of the heater vents down there, but alas, function over form.

I'm not familiar with that scanner model. We have smaller units that are just right in size to be dash-mounted. In a few of the cars we have large scanners, but luckily, they're older Expeditions that have the room to spare on the floor.

When it comes to being a fleet vehicle, the Explorer lacks a very important commodity: Space.

Another issue: There needs to be more than one 12V lighter adaptor in these cars!!!

Lense_Cap

Yo Matt!! We are getting some '03 Expeditions... but i am sure this would work in Explorers as well as long as they are not leased vehicles... the best way to explain it would be to send you a pic which i will do, but in case anyone else is wondering; we basically bolted a pole with a plate on top to the floor and then mounted the radios on that. It gives the driver easy access to the dials and buttons and also places the radios in a position so that the speaker can be heard a little better. It works in the newer Durangos pretty well but doesn't allow for much elbow space on the pasenger side. I'll shoot you an e-mail with a pic tonight.

- Jake

shooter k

Originally posted by mknisely:
We just got a new fleet of 02' and 03' Ford Explorers. Were having trouble finding places to mount 2-ways and the BC785D Scanners. So far, we installed 2 SUV's with the 2-ways and Scanners, but they are in the center console, and takes up a lot of space. Does anyone have any experience with this? Love to know some different configurations out there!
From the General Discussion...

http://www.allcommtechnologies.com/wbz_truck6.html

Enjoy!

:cool:

PhrozenPhoto

Matt,
You may look at a place called Gall's... I don't have the link off hand, but Google it under Galls Public Safety. They specialize in all sorts of radio mounts for Cop cars and the like... and last time I looked had some geared for SUV's since some agencies use Explorers and Blazers... anyhow, if they are out of your price range you may have someone in your shop who can get an idea of what to build. They are pretty nice though, you can customize how many racks you need, the whole 9 yards. I think they may have had one that replaces the center console in the Explorer. Might be pricey though.

I set my Explorer (2000 model) up with a console from Havis-Shields. The one I picked is a slope front center console that fits in front of the factory center console. I have 4 radios and the handset for the cell phone mounted there with plenty of room. The only trick was that I lost the factory accessory outlet on the dash, but I replaced that with one on the side of the console. Being sort of a generic console, I can also transfer it (with all the radios) to whatever I get next as long as there is nothing blocking the center of the dash. Havis-Shields makes a lot of the stuff for the police cruisers and they have accessories to mount pretty much anything (including laptop computers).

Tx

To bad you guys bought Ford explorers. I went out to all of the dealers in our area,and looked at the trucks. Most of them came with a center console. We got lucky with the Chevy Tahoe with no center console. Then I mounted a radio rack from www.Galls.com which holds most of my radio`s. Another thing about the Tahoe is that it came with a wire drop for the radio`s. Plus dual batteries under the hood. I say take it if you can,and mount a real console that you can use. Good luck. Wally Crow/KPRC-TV

Status
Not open for further replies.