Footage transfers

2000lux

My computer died, and I'm trying to decide between a new Mac Book Pro, and a Mac Book Air.

Mostly I do footage transfers, email, documents, accounting, etc. Maybe a little photo editing. I don't really do much video editing, any more. I don't think I need a quad core Mac Truck. However, in the past I've always bought the biggest fastest loudest computer I could at the time figuring it would take longer to become obsolete. I'm not so sure that holds true any more.

Any way. I'm wondering what you folks use in the field when you're mainly doing transfers for clients. Whether you bring your one computer with you, or just a Mac Book Air type device for that purpose?...

cameragod

PC. More bang for buck and I can spend the money on stuff I use not things Apple thinks I should use. :)

cyndygreen1

I've got an ASUS ROP gamer laptop. Works wonderfully with Adobe's PP and good all around internet and more workhorse. Always thought I had to have an "editing" computer but this works perfectly.

cameragod

I do like ASUS. A friend of mine who repairs laptops says the ones he see's most of are Acer followed by Macs. Dell and Sony next and last needing repair by a long way is Asus.

Run&Gun

When I switched over to Mac from Windows around '09 with my first MacBook Pro 17", I saw what everyone was talking about. The user experience was just so much better. I could do things a lot faster and everything looked good and well thought out. Then I got a RMBP 15" in the fall of their first year. It had a different OS, which I didn't like as much, but I was able to find third party software that restored some of the functionality that I lost. Currently I'm still using the same RMBP on an OS that is three releases behind the current, because I can't stand the way the new ones function and look. My GF was saddled with it after going in to an Apple Store, because her laptop wouldn't boot. They replaced her internal drive and loaded the newest OS. It's an absolute mess from a user standpoint. She hates it. I also have producers come in all the time with newer Macs and it's such a pain doing what was simple and intuitive. Move Jony Ive away from anything having to do with software. He needs to stick to what he's great at doing, designing computers and other physical things. His software designs are almost as bad as Windows.

My point is, if you can go play with a new one, do it before taking the plunge, because you may not be buying what you thought you were.

I had a similar experience to you and Run and Gun. When my last mac-book pro died right at the 2 year mark. I had somebody suggest the hp Z-book to me. I the Asus ROG laptops were a close second but the ability to pop the bottom and add ram and multiple hard drives was a major sell. The others were the thunderbolt port and express card slots. After a coupled of upgrades over the last year I now have a laptop that boasts 32gb of ram 1.5 tb of ssd drives and another 1tb spinning drive for bulk storage. For less than I would have paid for the mac-book.

Get a little software program called mac drive and you will be able to read and write mac drives natively so there is really no need for the mac anymore.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/Laptops/zbook-17-mobile-workstation-243579--1#!

Necktie Boy

With Apple not really supporting laptops, I would go with a PC laptop. A few buddies are at the point that they have to give up on their Mac and FCP 7 software. Even the station that they freelance for went PC and Premiere Pro. One had the video card problem. Apple charged him $300 bucks to replace, but the problem came back.

Just find a PC laptop that has want you are looking for. A few do have thunderbolt, so if you have T-Bolt boxes, you can use them. Also buy the fastest you can afford. You will be saving a ton of money over a Apple.

I use PC computers and laptops with no problems for years.

Douglas

I guess I'm in the minority. I would get out of the video business before I'd use a PC for anything creative. The Mac is just such a nicer and more refined platform. Everything is easier on a Mac and they last forever. Every Mac I've bought since 2006 (about 10 of them) is still in service in one way or another and works as good as the day they were born. Thunderbolt alone should be the deciding factor. Yeah, a Mac costs more because you're getting a BMW instead of a Chevy.

My advice is to get a fully-loaded MacBook Pro and you will not regret it.

Last edited:

Douglas

Still pissed at them for abandoning professional editing software.
Yes, I agree about that. I would never get myself in a position again of relying on software from Apple or Sony for my NLE or any critical part of my workflow. First we had XDCAM Browser, then Content Browser, then Catalyst Browser, then RAW Viewer, then Catalyst Prepare, then Catalyst Suite. Once you get comfortable with something Sony likes to pull the rug out from under your feet and make you re-learn everything with something new. And in the process add some "features" you don't need and take away some stuff you had come to rely on. At least Adobe and Avid are 100% software companies and understand our needs better.

But I must say that the migration to Premiere ended up being painless when you turn on the FCP7 emulation mode and I love the subscription business model for the whole suite. Premiere and Media Encoder are a way better programs than FCP7 and Compressor -- not to mention the integration with Photoshop, After Effects, Bridge, etc.

I wish I had made the leap sooner than waiting until I was forced to migrate for technical reasons in 2014. I had to open FCP7 the other day for the first time in a year or two to access an old project and I can't believe how clunky it is. Defintately one of those things that you remember being better than it really was.

Besides that, the monthly cost of the whole Adobe suite is actually $0. Why? Because it increases my productivity way more than the $50 it costs. Time is money and it saves me way more than $50 of my time every month. That is ROI!

How's that for hijacking the thread?

cyndygreen1

Hijack away! Yeah...my memories of FCP1 are the stuff dreams are made of. Of course I was younger, lighter, and better looking then too (in my memories)...

Run&Gun

Yes, I agree about that. I would never get myself in a position again of relying on software from Apple or Sony for my NLE or any critical part of my workflow. First we had XDCAM Browser, then Content Browser, then Catalyst Browser, then RAW Viewer, then Catalyst Prepare, then Catalyst Suite. Once you get comfortable with something Sony likes to pull the rug out from under your feet and make you re-learn everything with something new. And in the process add some "features" you don't need and take away some stuff you had come to rely on. At least Adobe and Avid are 100% software companies and understand our needs better.

That's my problem with Apple, now.

svp

I've got a Toshiba Satellite A505 running Windows 7 Professional with the first generation Intel i7 Core. Got it right when the i7 first came out so its about 7 or 8 years old. 8GB RAM. I still use it everyday running Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, and After Effects. It was starting to overheat and shut down recently but I took the entire thing apart and cleaned it based on instructions in a YouTube video I watched and the thing runs cool and like new every since. Been wanting to upgrade but no reason to until this one stops working the way I need it. Handles HD just fine but does struggle with 4k so the upgrade may come sooner than later. However, I've never owned a PC that's worked as well as this Toshiba and I've owned a MacBook, Dell, HP, and ASUS. None compare to how the Toshiba has held up. Not trying to influence anyone but just explaining my experience.