Following up after interview

paulisphotoman

I had two jobs interviews right after Christmas. Both positions I'd love to have, both are in areas I really want to go to, plus the job's are what I'm seeking.

One position I interviewed at on Dec 26th (in person), the other on Dec 30th (via phone). I sent thank you letters after my interviews. Due to New Years during the week, I called both places as follow-ups after, but haven't heard anything yet. I don't want to be annoying, but be persistent, since these positions are what I'm seeking. I haven't heard back yet from either, so am wondering the frequency of my follow-ups ???

The hiring manager both know I'm very interested, but wondering when I should call next ?

AKinDC

Personally, I think that a follow up letter/e-mail is appropriate and follow up calls are annoying. A second call would be way over the line.
You've done what you can at this point.

paulisphotoman

Not sure if I agree with you on follow-up calls. My reason is, they probably are reviewing 100's (??) of applications, mine might be forgotten, unless I follow up again....shows you ARE interested without being annoying

AKinDC

I'm sure they are reviewing scores of tapes.
So what would happen if all of those applicants followed up with multiple calls?
If your application/interview was good enough, you won't be forgotten.

AKinDC

I'm speaking in generalities, of course. If you got a different sense from the guys you were actually talking to, then obviously go with that. Hopefully, they'll be professional enough to contact you with at least an e-mail even if you don't get an offer.

paulisphotoman

I'm proactive, told them that when I was there, but I had to remind myself that my interview was only 2 days after the position closed. The owner and staff are super busy, plus I just saw that using their individual emails are not what will work, but a new one I noticed on their business card.....I called a week after, left a message, but have no idea of what's happening (??)....not sure if they filled the spot or still interviewing, or where I am in their list ???

svp

Not sure where you are applying but the managers at my station have all been out on vacation and just got back yesterday. Needless to say, there's a lot they have to catch up on in addition to preparing for February sweeps. I wouldn't call. Maybe one email but I'm guessing it would be a couple of weeks before they start calling people they are interested in. The quickest I ever got the "you're hired" phone call after an interview was 3 weeks. Be patient.

paulisphotoman

these are not news photographer jobs....I applied to a video production company in AZ, then a commercial production position in Tyler, TX...I called Tyler a few times, with emails too before Thanksgiving, then was finally called Dec 30th....

The Phnx position just closed on Dec 24th, followed up with Thanks thru one email, but then noticed the main email is another one I hadn't used....just trying to do the right thing, since not knowing is the hardest part

paulisphotoman

as an added note to this conversation.... I emailed the company 3 weeks ago and the reply was I did not write anymore but the owner would call but she hasn't yet and its been a month..... no clue if they are still looking or if its been filled since I've received information from them and I'm wondering if I should just call them to find out the status of the position ??

paulisphotoman

let me try this again as I'm using voice text on my phone.... the owner of this company I was told I would call with updates but has not.. I was told by a staff member that I did not need to write anymore..... it's been one month so I'm wondering if now would be a good time to call for an update???.... or if I should just move on hope they call and just wait ???

svp

My guess is the position is filled or they know who they want. If they want you they'll call you. At this point start looking elsewhere and if they call to offer consider it a bonus. It's not a good sign when they tell you to stop writing them.

svp

If its a good production company they are going to watch about 2 minutes of your reel and if its what they are looking for you'll go in the maybe pile. If it doesn't catch their eyes then its tossed and you won't hear from them EVER. After they go through the initial views, they go back and look at their top 5 they liked and then bring in three for an interview. Within a month, they've offered the job to someone. Companies don't bother calling or emailing those they aren't interested in. No amount of calling or emailing is going to change their mind. I know you really want the job but if your reel didn't make their top 5 then you are wasting your time.

When I recently hired a freelancer for a shoot in DC, I was bombarded by about 75 links to reels online. I sifted through and found 8 I really liked. I started calling those 8 in the order they emailed me. The first 3 had rates that were ridiculous. The fourth was available on the date I needed and his rate was right on target so I hired him. He worked out fine and I'd hire him again anytime I have a need in DC. Long story short, I emailed the "Thanks but the position is filled" letter to a few with decent reels who I might consider in the future. The rest? Nothing. I don't have time to respond to everyone. I know hiring a freelancer for one gig is different than hiring a full time videographer but the process isn't that much different.

paulisphotoman

I've been in the field now, except this past year, for over 10 yrs, so I have a pretty good idea of company work, as far as filling positions. I do remember, this video production company said the position is rare, so I can ONLY imagine the number of applications and regular freelancers that have applied locally and nationally, for that matter.

I was in Phnx for Xmas, the job itself was open for 30 days, I met them only 2 days after the application closed. The owner/I spoke for about an hour, showing me the office/equipment and he told me how they worked. I'm not sure if they viewed my reels, which I sent, so that also has been on my mind. I sent my main reel, plus a few others, show my different lighting samples.

This business, as I see, their workflow changes by the hour, I was told January was going to be very busy....no timeframe was set on filling the position. The position is fulltime with benefits....

I am not counting on this position, but I have a alot of family and friends there, so the thought of relocating is exciting to me, even relocating at my own expense....I guess excited may be viewed as annoying or " too much " by others too, so I get it

I was told I did not need to write anymore, but the owner would call when a decision is made....The min requirement for this position is 4 yrs, so it's not entry level, they are seeking someone with experience. Even though I haven't heard from them, doesn't mean they have filled the position, but might be just taking their time....

The not knowing part is the hardest (with all the positions), but I'm also looking at other positions in other cities also, so just hoping for the right one to come along....some days I'm calm and hell, other days are just anxiety ridden....

I told them I'm proactive, seeking a permanent position, which he siad he liked hearing too, but I know there are no guarantees, esp these days

svp

Well if you interviewed and he showed you around that is a plus. You've done what you can do as far as getting this job. My advice would be to continue looking elsewhere while you wait.

paulisphotoman

That is what I was thinking too....I follow them on Facebook, they are covering the Super Bowl this weekend, so I know this IS the big time, they are busy....

Necktie Boy

My take is that they passed you up. The strike against you is that you live out of state. You were lucky that you were in the area, and decide to talk to you, informally.

Sure, you have family and friends, but not the same as already living there. I had lived with family, and know the problems that comes with the territory. One thing less a local has to worry about.

I think the company was seeing what was out there, and hired one of the local freelancer that they use. They know him and his work since he has worked for them.

SVP really summed it up when he posted an opening. It's very rare that you get a reply this time and age.

Necktie Boy

Sorry about that, but I have learned from my buddy who is looking for work that if you are out of state, out of mind.