Firewire to HDMI issue

cyndygreen1

So a buddy purchased a new computer that has only HDMI input - not firewire. Their older Canon camera has only firewire outs. I suspect they are SOL due to the different transfer systems for each, but was wondering (long shot I know) if there is something that can do this besides very expensive boxes? My proposal was to see if the laptop can have a firewire card put into it. If there is room.

cyndygreen1

Thanks Cameragod...the top one looks like a four pin to six pin adapter (can't really tell with my aging eyes). And the second is firewire/USB. She is looking for the mythical HDMI to firewire. Suspect putting a card in the laptop may be the only solution.

cameragod

Click the top one and it should take you to a page that calls it a Female 6 Pin to Male 4 Pin Firewire IEEE 1394 Adapter HDMI Cable Adapter Converter... for $4.49

cyndygreen1

And thanks again...will follow up. From what I've been reading the way data is handled by firewire vs. USB vs. HDMI is different enough that adapters can't handle it. And for that price? Hmmm...(too good to be true?).

Have you or anyone you know tried this?

cyndygreen1

They just tossed in the reference to HDMI adapter to pull people in to look. It is just a four pin to six pin firewire adapter. Nothing more...but thanks for looking. I'm checking out hard drives with both firewire and USB ports and am waiting to hear if my friend's computer has USB - which I would think it would. If yes, then we should be able to daisychain the camera into the hard drive and then from there into the computer. Fingers crossed.

SamG

Can they find a firewire to SDI converter? Then you run SDI to HDMI (readily available).

Not the most elegant, but if it works...

2 Hungry Dogs

Cyndy,

Very few computers have an HDMI IN Usually they are OUT only. Are you sure the HDMI connector on this computer is an input?

cyndygreen1

Good point Joel...let me ask. We may have made some assumptions here. It's a brand new HP laptop is all I know.

Necktie Boy

New computer? As in Windows 8? Windows 8 doesn't support firewire anymore. Last OS was Windows 7. So, no add-on firewire card will work with WIN 8. Also don't think the laptop has an express slot.

The HDMI port is out, only. It's not an input.

Only options are to get a capture card with analog inputs. Those should work with USB 3. Since it's a new laptop, it should have a few. Blackmagic makes a USB capture card, the Intensity Shuttle for $200 bucks.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity/models

Just have to check to see if correct USB chipset is used to use the Shuttle.
Also see if it will work with WIN 8.