firewire to beta

Focused

Hey, quickie for you guys.

I need to get video from FCP via firewire to a beta 1800 player/recorder. I am looking at a converter by Canopus (ADVC 110).

http://www.canopus.com/products/ADVC110/index.php

The range is low from $200 but up to multiple thousands of dollars.

How do you know what to get and if it will work to move the signal along? I am not not so worried about deck control, although it would be use to capture from time to time. This is mostly for dubs. Budget is a concern, but I will spend what I need to in order for the process to work.

Any recommendations?? Other brands or should I look at a beefier box?

Baltimore Shooter

I don't think the Canopus product you linked to will work.

I've been wondering why no one has made a Firewire to 26pin Beta connector. You could send Firewire out of a Betacam camera that has a 26pin connector right to FCP or something like that. Same thing w/ a deck. But as far as I can tell, no one makes anything like that.

Warren

dilyb

I use the canopus ADVC 110 to capture video from a dvcpro deck using composite outs. Not sure what outputs you have on your beta deck. You say you want to send video from your computer to the deck... one issue you may run into, the computer cannot control the deck. At least my computer doesn't recognize the timecode when using this converter.
However, simply using it to capture video (my deck is only a player) it works fine, and I don't think the video loses "much" quality... obviously subjective... i'd prefer a dvcpro deck with a firewire out.

Necktie Boy

What deck are you using via firewire? If you are using a Sony deck, Most have component and SVHS outs. The better models have XLR's In/Out. If you have a DSR-45 or better, they even have TBC's built-in for the analog outs. Even if you are using a camera, they have SVHS out. If you needs dubs once in awhile, you can go to a dub house. On the audio side, you would have to buy/make cables to hook up to the 1800's XLR's. I did get two black boxes that convert RCA to XLR levels.

Necktie Boy

Warren,
A 26 pin isn't that special. It has been awhile that I had to use a 26 pin since most cameras have a recorder these days. A 26 pin can handle composite, SHVS, or component video out of the camera head. It supplies power to the camera. Return video from the deck. The audio side is only one track. The shotgun track.
I believe color from only live camera, not off the tape. I don't remember if the newer Beta's could playback color off the tape. I do remember that I had to use a playback adaptor for a PVV3 BetaSP unit. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Since the 26 pin is still analog video/audio, companies make BOB for the video side. I never have seen one that also did the audio. I don't remember off hand what audio outputs a beta unit has, besides the headphone out. Been awhile I shot beta.
Saying that, I have a cable built that can input video via the 26 pin. My DVCam deck has a 26 pin connector. I use it to input component video into my deck. And use the deck's XLR's for audio.
If all I said is correct, a 26 pin would be only good for a live camera video, but not for the audio if you didn't use a mixer to send down the audio to the DV connvertor.

Canonman

I did find this information on the web regarding 26 pin stuff.

1=VBS(X)
2=VBS(G)
3=Y VIDEO(G)
4=Y VIDEO(X)
5=R-Y VIDEO(X)
6=R-Y VIDEO(G)
7=B-Y VIDEO(X)
8=B-Y VIDEO(G)

17=SHIELD
18=RET VIDEO(X)
19=RET VIDEO(Y)

22=COLOR FRAMING

Those are the video related pin outs of the Betacam CCZ 26 pin
connector.
pins 1 and 2 are delivering composite video (video baseband signal). Pins 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 are outputting luminance(green), red, and blue, respectively, commonly referred to as analog component video..

BTW Necktie, I think you mean s-video, not svhs. The former is an interface while the latter is a recording format.

cm

Last edited:

Canonman

It was a long day yesterday.....S-Video is what I meant to say....Thanks for catching my error....
Believe me, you're not the first to have interchanged the two terms, and probably won't be the last. Hope today is going much better.

cm

Focused

Back on task

I think we are getting a little off subject.

This is the back of the UVW 1800.

http://img257.imageshack.us/my.php?image=uvw1800backclosefk6.jpg

I am not so much looking for deck control as a way to record onto beta from a Mac. In you are not familiar, in FCP you can refresh sources in the menu to watch the video on an external monitor. I was going to place the deck between the firewire and the monitor. What kin/type of box do I need to buy to make it happen? Will a basic converter like the Canopus ADVC 110 allow the signal through or will there be too much interference or signal loss?

Remember, this is not for capturing. Some people run the firewire to a DVCAM deck and then control the beta that way. I am trying not to buy a second deck just to run some dubs. Anybody deal with this?

Necktie Boy

If I understand you, you are using a second computer monitor, full screen, to view
video. If that is correct, you have no firewire connected. Yes, a ADVC 110 will work. Using the S-Video connector will give you a better recorded picture on the 1800 and on the NTSC monitor if it has a S-Video input. Connect firewire to ADVC 110. Use S-Video out to S-Video in on the 1800. Make sure the 1800 is in EE mode. Out of the 1800, you can use the S-Video out or composite out to the monitor. Composite will have the overlay features(Video 2) while the S-Video will just give you a better picture.
On the audio side, you will need to get a box to go unbalance to balance since the ADVC has unbalance audio(RCA's) and the 1800 has balance audio(XLR's). You may be able to go RCA to XLR's, but the levels may be low. Or use a mixer with balance audio out.

Canonman

Sorry Focused, I got diverted by Warren's reference to a 26 pin connector. I forgot that you were wanting to use the deck for transfer from FCP. What Necktie says is correct. Video won't be an issue with the ADVC 110, but you'll have to get creative with the audio. There are balanced to unbalanced converters available. Check with a site such as Markertek.

cm

Focused

Thanks

Thanks guys. I will check into those things. I am glad the video will work and I do have a desktop mixer. But, I will also check into the boxes with balanced & unbalanced audio. Appreciate it. Have a great weekend.

Necktie Boy

I picked up a Rolls HE18 Buzz Off. It's a passive box. Converts unbalance to balance and balance to unbalance. Cost is around $60 bucks. It seems to work well. I tested it with a DVD player. It did the job. The balance outputs are stereo plugs. Or you can get stereo plugs to XLR's adaptors for about $15 bucks. Small box to carry around if you need to use it in the field.