Final Cut Studio, 2008 NAB

Minnesotan

Our company is thinking about buying Final Cut Studio 2, We're using the previous version now. What I'm wondering is if we should wait a few months for NAB. Has anybody heard anything about any new versions of Final Cut Studio being released at NAB this year? Anybody know what to expect from Apple at NAB this year?

Thanks!

Ace Of Nothing

I just bought Final Cut Pro. I asked around (editor friends, Apple store guy, computer guys, blogs, forums etc) and no one expected anything anytime soon.

Doesn't mean it's not going to happen though.

I'd get it now and if they come up with the next best thing then pay for the small upgrade or if it's not worth it you can always wait for the next, next version.

Canonman

They prob would have done it during Apple Week if it were to be done.
Apple does not usually release or announce pro-apps at MacWorld. If any announcements are forthcoming, look for them to be made at the Apple press conference at NAB.

FCS2 was coded with Leopard in mind so I wouldn't expect to see much other than some enhancements as opposed to any major new release. However, DVD Studio Pro did not get an update between FCS and FCS2 and now that the Blu-Ray standard may become the dominant player, we might get an update for Blu-Ray authoring and an update to the Mac Pro line with Blu-Ray burner.

That's purely speculation on my part, based on how I've observed hardware/software releases from Apple over the past few years.

cm

Douglas

I agree. I'll be very surprised if Apple doesn't release a DVD Studio Pro update that supports Blu-Ray. An added bonus would be an eternal Apple Blu-Ray burner. I'd place my order right now if I could.

Doug
www.VortexMedia.com

Canonman

An added bonus would be an eternal Apple Blu-Ray burner.
I'm not sure I'd want an 'eternal' Blu-Ray burner. I'm sure something more advanced will come along eventually. :)

Sorry Doug, just having a little fun with your typo.

cm

Douglas

That's funny. Well, they say the shelf life of XDCAM is 50 years, so maybe an eternal Blu-Ray isn't so far fetched.
Doug

Necktie Boy

I check out my favorite FCP user group....The only talk is update of DVD Studio Pro that will supports Blu-Ray. Pretty much what everyone said...