Final Cut Pro Audio mixing....

We just recently switched from AVID to FCP and we're having an issue with the audio, although more of an inconvenience than an issue.

It seems that after importing video, FCP decides that it is going to mix the left and right channel together.

For archiving purposes, the channels need to export separately. Odd tracks left and even tracks right, so that when we are using file video, you can kill the reporter track and still have all the nats.

Does anyone know a more automatic way of doing this besides having to manually separate the channels before exporting?

Thanks

Lensmith

Select your clip...in the player window click on the "mono a1" tab located to the right of the "video" tab. There is a pan control, found just below the audio level control, which you slide either left or right to put the audio on the left or right channel. Slide it over and it only goes on that channel. Select the other audio tab in the play window. Slide that control to the opposite side. Now you have a channel on each side or...two channels seperated.

You can do it either before you put the selected clip in the time line or you can select each clip in the time line and then go back up to those same audio tabs and put the audio on either the left or right channel.

FCP imports the material with the audio pan set in the center automatically. Then it's up to you to decide which channel/side it should go on.

Last edited:

Alx

FCP Dual Mono

Go to User Preferences,,,,Audio Outputs

You are probably set on stereo....copy this preset, then click the edit button, change the copy's settings to dual mono, and change the name to dual mono. Click OK.

Back out on Audio Preferences, make sure Duel Mono is checked. Click OK and you are set.

Select your clip...in the player window click on the "mono a1" tab located to the right of the "video" tab. There is a pan control, found just below the audio level control, which you slide either left or right to put the audio on the left or right channel. Slide it over and it only goes on that channel. Select the other audio tab in the play window. Slide that control to the opposite side. Now you have a channel on each side or...two channels seperated.

You can do it either before you put the selected clip in the time line or you can select each clip in the time line and then go back up to those same audio tabs and put the audio on either the left or right channel.

FCP imports the material with the audio pan set in the center automatically. Then it's up to you to decide which channel/side it should go on.
I know that, and actually have an easier way that is quicker I think. Once you have finished your package, you press "t" and click on the track you want to change, then control click "," to pan left, Control click "." to center the audio and control click "?" to pan right. I just wish you could change these settings, so FCP would import automatically panned, It's just too time consuming, and when working with other photogs video, sometimes their channel setup is different. Instead of the lav 1 and nat 2, they have nat 1 lav 2, so its hard to tell which audio track to lay down sometimes.

Go to User Preferences,,,,Audio Outputs

You are probably set on stereo....copy this preset, then click the edit button, change the copy's settings to dual mono, and change the name to dual mono. Click OK.

Back out on Audio Preferences, make sure Duel Mono is checked. Click OK and you are set.
I thought of that one, but for some reason when you transfer it to the server you lose your nat channel. Not sure why though

I'm a big fan of keyboard shortcuts. You can select a clip or multiple clips and click
ctrl + , to pan left, ctrl + . to pan center, and ctrl + / to pan right. Once you get that stuck in your memory it almost becomes second nature.

Yeah, that's what I like about FCP. You can do the same thing three different ways to fit defferent peoples preferences and styles of working. ;)
Ya, although that also has a catch 22 when your trying to train a newsroom FCP, its a much more complex editor than avid, so training can be a real pain with so many ways to do one thing.

must-c-tv

Besides User Preferences, you can also click the Ctrl-click in the browers on the Sequence > got to Settings > Audio Output > Dual Mono.

Yet another FCP way.