FCP to Newscutter?

micaelb

This is an odd question I know. I'm shooting a PMW-EX1, editing that on FCP but we need to get it into our Airspace to air it. I think I can find a way to get it done but if someone here has a simple way to get it done without playing out to tape then ingesting that tape. Do I want to make a Quicktime, save that to a flash drive then import that into Newscutter? Or another type of file? The final product will air in SD so I don't need to transfer a big HD file.

Thanks!

Canonman

Not sure if you can use it this way, but AVID has a codec package available for QT free on the web. You download, run the installer pkg to add them to your QT library, then FCP can render out a QT file that the AVID system should understand by using the appropriate AVID codec for the compressor.

http://avidtechnology.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/avidtechnology.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_sid=undefined&p_lva=undefined&p_li=undefined&p_faqid=75079&p_created=1201627416&p_sp=undefined

This will get you the Avid QT for MAC 1.8. Instructions for importing to Avid and exporting from non AVID for each codec are on this page.

cm

Last edited:

Land Rover

We save FCP projects as QT's. After they're saved we just import them into Avid. Like it was said above, just make sure you have the right codec's. The only problem we've run into is that Avid doesn't like really long QT's. Issues come up when they are over 15 to 20 minutes long. I don't know if this is common or just with our system.

micaelb

First, thanks for the ideas.
The QT to flash drive works fine but I'm not entirely happy with how the QT plays. I've tried several format options and DV25 29.97 looks the best to me but seems to be a little bit choppy. Is this just the way it works when downconverting? I know playing out of the AV port on the camera looks ok but not up to my expectations either.
If you have a favorite format to have Final Cut use to make the QT let me know.

bluffton

What format are you playing to air in? If you are going to go SD then just export it as DV/NTSC 3x2 (720x480) 29.97 (drop frame) 48khz Avid will take that. If it is too long, then export out a few different movies from your timeline. But I think it is easier to just dump it to tape and then ingest it back into the avid.

It's digital right, then if there is a loss of quality, nobody but us would notice and then that is subject to debate. Personally, I wouldn't be testing this out for any project.

Get'er done for now, and mess with it for next time. Good luck.