FCP rendering question

TexasDave

It's me again - I've had so many problems these last few weeks with FCP. Now, I've got a rendering issue. I'll render video, edit, use compressor, and go back to my project only to discover that all the video in unrendered.

It started for me 2-3 days ago when I installed some updates for FCP. I spent 2 days rending projects to finish, and when I open FCP, they are unrendered. Got a deadline coming up, so I thought I'd see if any of you experienced this. Here's 2 posts of similar situations from apple's site - so I know I'm not the only one experiencing this. I am running the current version of FCP.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=6579620

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....48307&#6348307

No one on the apple posts has come up with a good solution so far. I can't check anything at this point - cause I'm still rendering... but maybe one of ya'll can help me.

Douglas

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. All my renders would be un-rendered again whenever I'd open a project. What I did to fix it was to designate a different location for the renders/cache etc. Once I did that, everything worked fine again and stayed rendered. I'm out of the country right now and don't have a Mac with me so I can't tell you exactly what to change, but basically it's the preferences that deal with the scratch locations. Change it to someplace else, and see what happens. It's an easy fix to try and it worked for me.

Doug

bluffton

Ditto what Douglas said,

I put all of my render files and cache in my "Documents" that way my computer has them. I keep my capture scratch on an external drive.

If this doesn't fix it surely go to Kenstone's site. Ditto N.Klaeser.

Another option when you are done exporting with Compressor... when you are finished with the export, click on fcp and click "apple+z" (undo) and see if that helps.

Rendering video

Funny you should ask ! You're the lucky guy or gal tonight. I was just trying one of the free tutorials on Lynda.com re FCP. Under settings the teacher says that if your preferences for playing are set differently than those for when you logged you will keep getting those error messages. Go to this page...

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=180

Then click on the free tutorial about settings.
Let me know if this helped!:rolleyes:

TexasDave

Digi - I watched it, and that might be my problem. Thanks for the heads up. I can't try anything now (since I'm still rendering!), but I will look into what you found.

Currently, my main concern is to get all the video on the network so my boss can watch it and give the greenlight - so I only have 4 more chapters left to render and compress.

But I will give it a try, and I'll post my findings. All I was able to find out is that I updated the software and apple engineers mentioned that sometimes the video in the timeline from the previous update will not be compatable on the new update, so create a new project and move the files over. I have version 6.02. Then close the project, re-open and render all files again, and this time it should take.

I'll give them a shot and post my findings.