FCP 4:3 TV safe frame/safe title for 16:9 format?

dhart

I haven't edited any TV spots in a long time but have been recently called upon to do so. Shot 16:9 protected 4:3. Used the the FCP hash marks over the 16:9 frame. Got a call from TV station that the spot was in fact not 4:3 title safe. Luckily the PM took pity on me and fixed for a short deadline. Anyone know of a fool proof 4:3 overlay? I know nothing is "fool proof" in our brave new digital world. :D

Necktie Boy

Dennis,

There is a free plug-in for what you are looking for. I found it on the LA Final Cut Group. I couldn't find in my old emails. I sent the link to a friend...I may be able to find it again.

Necktie Boy

I Found It

Here you go. I think this is what you are looking for.

Yes, my friend. That's called Centercut Titlesafe. There is a great solution for FCP...download and install Andy's Plug-Ins (FREE) here:

[web.me.com]

The plug-in you want is "Andy's Guides 3.1"

Off the LAFCP User board from Joey

dhart

I've tried Andy's "guides" but they will not load into my FCP 7 effects. I assume he needs to do an upgrade.

zac love

Worst comes to worst, you could just add an extra video layer at the top with a mask for 4:3 safe. Then just turn that layer off before export.

But there really should be a better way.

dhart

Oophs, my bad. Was wandering around in video generators in FCP and found "Andy's Guides 3.1" All is now well in our 16:9 needs to really be 4:3 world.