Fargo Reporter Arrested, Tape Confinscated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesotan

A TV reporter doing a story about airport security was arrested Saturday morning after he climbed over a fence.

Television station WDAY said it suspended reporter Mike Licquia pending the results of the police investigation. A cameraman who was with Licquia did not climb the fence and was not arrested, Fargo police Sgt. Wayne Jorgenson said.

Reached at home, Licquia referred comment about the incident to supervisors.

"There's a lot I have to say, but at this point it's not the time for that," he said.

Police arrested Licquia about 11 a.m. after witnesses reported him scaling an 8-foot chain-link fence at Hector International Airport. Witnesses said the reporter entered a loading area next to the terminal before climbing out again, Jorgenson said.

Licquia was arrested on suspicion of trespassing in a secure area, a Class C felony, and released on a personal recognizance bond. Formal charges have not been filed.

Officers also confiscated the reporter's video tape.

Jorgenson said Licquia told police he was not assigned to scale the fence.

"I think what he said is that WDAY did not know he was going to do this,'' Jorgenson said.

"We've had people jump the fence periodically over the years, but this is the first time that I know of that we've had a reporter do it," Jorgenson said.

When asked about the reporter's suspension, WDAY news director Al Aamodt said, "We'll deal with it on Monday."

Licquia is expected to appear in Cass County District Court on Tuesday.

Flash-Frame

I just want to know why the tape was confiscated. That photographer should of held on to that at all costs.

If they want the tape, they should make a judge subpeona it.

Y

<You betcha>

It doesn't say why he did. Probably felted pressured by the man. The station shoots M II, you think the cops have a M II deck?

A

<actionnewsman>

Too bad Letterman doesn't do "Stupid Reporter Tricks," because this one takes the cake. What was he thinking? I guess he proved a point though. You will get caught and charged with a felony if you jump the airport fence. Duh.

Shaky & Blue

Originally posted by Flash-Frame:
I just want to know why the tape was confiscated. That photographer should of held on to that at all costs.

If they want the tape, they should make a judge subpeona it.
Normally I would agree with you. But in this case, it sounds like the reporter jumped the fence for the camera to demonstrate how easy it would be for a terrorist to circumvent security measures.

It's one thing to protect work product when it provides evidence of someone else committing a crime, but it's something else entirely when the work product is a part of the crime itself. Since the reporter committed this crime in the course of his work for the station, to refuse to turn over the tape would probably make the photog or the station complicit in the crime. In this case, that tape is really no different than if a juvenile delinquent had taped his buddy jumping the fence on a dare. There's no protection.

M

<Mi3ke>

I just want to know why the tape was confiscated. That photographer should of held on to that at all costs.>>>> Either that or the reporter was running the camera, after the photog told him to forget him hgelping the reporter to anything as stupid as jumping a fence at an airport. They took the tape whjen they put the reporter in cuffs.

Cheers, Mi3ke

BluesDaddy

Originally posted by <actionnewsman>:
Too bad Letterman doesn't do "Stupid Reporter Tricks," because this one takes the cake. What was he thinking? I guess he proved a point though. You will get caught and charged with a felony if you jump the airport fence. Duh.
Exactly what I was thinking.

D

<DamnCoppers>

It's one thing to protect work product when it provides evidence of someone else committing a crime, but it's something else entirely when the work product is a part of the crime itself. Since the reporter committed this crime in the course of his work for the station, to refuse to turn over the tape would probably make the photog or the station complicit in the crime. In this case, that tape is really no different than if a juvenile delinquent had taped his buddy jumping the fence on a dare. There's no protection. [/QB][/QUOTE]

This bonehead move deserves suspension if not dismisal however the photog was not commiting a
crime and who is to say he knew the reporter was go all East Berliner on him. He should have held on to his tape or at the very least given over a blank.

SHOOT TO KILL

Live and learn I guess. Starters markets are repleat with green reporters fresh out of school hell bent on aggressive "reporting" like they saw in the movies when they were kids. Sounds like the photog had a liitle more experience/sense but I also wonder why s/he would hand over the tape.

Then again, stupid moves like this happen in bigger markets too....

Status
Not open for further replies.