Expanding Duties, Need Advice

TEM

Hi all,

As with just about everywhere, the downsizing of newsrooms has meant more responsibilities and duties for many, including me.

I was re-classified as a Executive Producer of Operations at the beginning of 2010, and with it comes expanded purview of our stations efforts. One of which is satellite and fiber transmission. Areas where I come up a bit short on in skills and knowledge. I have a basic to intermediate knowledge of those areas, but due to us being small market TV I, we, rarely have to deal with those items as they are simply resources that we do not have on a regular basis. I know the satellite reception side very well, but the transmission side of things (Fiber more than Satellite) I do come up short on... but will be tasked to know on demand as needed.

I'm reaching out to those in the know in these areas... where would you point me? What should I know? What is a good resource to fall back on?

Thanks!
TM
Thomas E Morales
Executive Producer, Operations
KCOY & KKFX Television
Santa Maria, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, CA

Necktie Boy

Hi TM,

I would start reading Broadcast Engineering, if you aren't already. Go to their site, lots of good information.

Look up your local SBE Chapter. They would have a great wealth of information at the local level.

zac love

Also call your local (or ones in SF / LA) Sat / Fiber vendors.

Often people you'll give money to often can explain why you should give them money.

If your station already has the equipment, but no one knows how to use it, try calling the company that made the equipment. I have gotten some good information from some of the guys who make the products I use, I've had nothing but great experiences with any company owned by Tiffen (Lowel, Steadicam...).

As long as you're halfway competent in the technology, it could be a short 5-10min phone call to get you up to speed or direct you to where you need to look for more information.

Tallinvegas

I handle a lot of this for my station here in vegas, feel free to send me a PM with any questions.

Justin Grant
Chief News Photographer
FOX5 News Las Vegas