Edius and iTunes help

Latin Lens

Currently editing on Edius 4 and have iTunes version 10.0. I am having trouble getting songs downloaded from iTunes into Edius? Can anyone help? Do I need to convert the iTunes file into a mp3 format? And how would I do that? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dan R.

It depends on the version of ITunes. The files with DRM (prior to a year or so ago) can't be converted. They have to be burned to a CD in ITunes and subsequently ripped to mp3s/wavs using a program like Cdex. Files without DRM (downloaded in the past year or so) can be renamed from m4a to mp3s. I've never tried importing any of these files into an NLE (haven't yet had the occasion where a client was willing to go through the cost/hassle of getting the rights/clearances) but I've done this to make them compatible with my other players/devices, and so far those steps have worked.

lbvp

I'm running Edius 5.5 and I can drop the m4a right into the timeline. Not sure why you'd use squeeze to convert an MP3. I been using Easy CD-DA for years and it's a excellent program for converting and now burn cd's.

BTW I use to do the burn to CD, rip and convert to 48K, now I just use Easy CD to convert

Necktie Boy

Aren't iTune a different format? I always hear about importing MP3's into editing systems sometimes causing problems. I usually convert the MP3 into a wave(PC user), then use in my editing software. Any audio software should be able to convert the cut into another format. I thought that iTunes could do that? Not an iTunes user.

Chicago Dog

Currently editing on Edius 4 and have iTunes version 10.0. I am having trouble getting songs downloaded from iTunes into Edius? Can anyone help? Do I need to convert the iTunes file into a mp3 format? And how would I do that?
Can you be a bit more specific as to what you're having trouble with? I'm assuming you're trying to drag a file directly into the timeline? Does Edius 4 have an import feature? You may want to check that.

Are your audio tracks locked? Sometimes, you can't drag a two-channel clip into a timeline if one of the target channels is locked. Edius is finicky like that.

I agree with others' advice in burning an audio CD and pulling the tracks into Edius that way. Make sure you're not burning a data disc!

I will say that RealPlayer allows you to do some interesting things with video and audio. If all else fails, you might want to get RP and screw around with that a bit. You might actually stumble upon something worthwhile.

you can use compressor, sorenson squeeze, or even virtual dub
Compressor isn't a PC product. Sorenson Squeeze is $800 for very little in the way of audio editing. VirtualDub is licensed under GNU, meaning anyone can edit the code, resulting in often-buggy software. VD also makes note on its website that you need additional third party plug-ins and hacks to perform what Latin Lens needs.

You really need to do more to understand questions asked and the answers you're giving. This isn't the first time I've seen you give extraneous or bad advice on this forum.

Any audio software should be able to convert the cut into another format. I thought that iTunes could do that? Not an iTunes user.
iTunes files are normally M4A (or AAC). I found that iTunes used to be able to convert downloaded files and audio CDs. Now, it's been restricted to audio CDs only.

Most editing software, though, usually includes an "import" feature that can help get the job done.

Latin Lens

Our editing computers have NO internet access so I always have to transfer outside files or music with a flash drive or hard drive or CD...whatever....I was basically trying to drag the iTunes song from the list onto my desktop and thus placing it on a flash drive to open in my project...its listed as a m4a but I thought edius could open it but no. I will just burn the songs to a CD and import that way since that makes the easiest and most sense. Thanks alot guys.

Chicago Dog

I was basically trying to drag the iTunes song from the list onto my desktop and thus placing it on a flash drive to open in my project...its listed as a m4a but I thought edius could open it but no.
Actually, that might be your problem. The songs in the playlist in iTunes aren't actually the files themselves; they're just shortcuts to the songs. I don't have access to a PC computer right now, but there should be a preferences option that shows you what directory your music files are saved.

Find that directory and try dragging the files directly into Edius from the directory itself.

lbvp

Not necessarily true. I can get them to play in Edius 5.5. Dont know if this was doable in 4 ( I've used Edius since 3.5)

The actual files is in my documents/mymusic/itunes/itunes music generally.

but in general you are better off converting them to 48K wav's