Editing Software

I am looking for recommendations on editing software.

I need something that does CG's, however 3D animation is not needed now, but I may need to upgrade to that in the future.

I also need to be able to burn DVD's, perhaps High Definition in the future. And I need to be able to convert the files for web use.

For logistical reasons, I need something that is PC based.

Money is not as much as a concern as capabilities. However, if you could give a ballpark figure on price, that would be great.

I would appreciate any thoughts you all have on this. Thanks!

Necktie Boy

Premiere Pro.....Good CG program...Can burn DVD's off the timeline....You can export also from the timeline to the web. You can get third party cards to work with HD when you start HD....I don't have the latest version, so I don't know if it can burn Blu-Ray DVD's. Easy to work with. Plays nice with other Adobe products.

willis

I use Premiere CS3 daily (along with After Effects, et. al.) Premiere supports burning bluray out of Premiere, and Encore (DVD authoring tool.) It plays very nicely with photoshop, after effects, encore, soundbooth, audition (advanced audio editor,) and even flash. It also works well with any Adobe or Macromedia product I forgot to mention. On the other side of the coin, users of other NLEs won't take you seriously. And this is for a reason -- Premiere is buggy. It has gotten a lot better in the past few versions, but it is still likely to crash at least once a month, and often you will lose work. I seriously reccoment using Avid if your budget allows. It'll cost a lot more, and it's harder to learn, but the time saved and extra capabilities will be worth it in the long run.

Prices:

Avid Media Composer (without Adrenaline) runs around 4.5K
Avid Xpress Pro (without mojo) runs around 1.5K
Adobe Premiere with all the other apps runs around 2.5K

good luck

Necktie Boy

You could go with Xpress Pro HD. The pitfalls that I came across that Avid is picky about what computer you use. You can get an Avid approve computer from Dell. Or you can build your own, but you have to be carefull what components you use. Xpress Pro HD does do HD, but there is no real time monitor. The options are to upgrade to Media Composer with hardware, Go DVCPro HD and get the $20k deck to monitor HD, or get the new P2 store with the video outputs. That little box will monitor via the firewire. that unit is about $4K. Don't forget that you will need a HD monitor.
The nice thing about Premiere Pro is that you can get a third party card to monitor HD and digitalize any format and convert on the fly with the right third party card. ($1k)