Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeagateNews

I'll finally able to trade in my 'news moped' for a truck, but i need some tips to avoid making my insurance rates skyrocket. I'm just wondering about some basic things, like how to get to the scene of an accident that's on the expressway. Obviously I could pull up in the median say in the SB lane if the accident's in the NB, but what else? (Of course I'm not with a station, so my truck's not identifiable as media.)I guess that's my biggest question...fires and other accidents are kind of common sense (or so I think). Any tips at all in relation to any kind of incident are appriciated.

Oh yeah--what about insurance? Is there anything I should avoid (besides anything illegal) that anyone can think of? Has anyone heard of higher insurance rates for using a personal vehicle to go to scenes to shoot? I'm also going to check with my insurance agent to see what he says.

Dedline

your insurance will go up if you tell them you use your personal car for work. I think it was like 20% more when it came up once with the wife.

INLANDNEWS

Yeah, dont tell your insurance company. They will definetly raise your rates because you are driving more miles than the average person. As far as getting into news scenes, just make sure you use common sense when getting there and keep a placard to throw up on your dash identifying you as media, as well as carry your press pass to show to the emergency official blocking the street. Sometimes when there is a lot of chaos and traffic I will park down the street from an incident intially and walk in... it saves a lot of time and you won't miss the shot... especially ambulance transports etc. Bottom line is when there is an emergency, traffic in the surrounding area is gonna be hell, so think of short cuts and easy ways into the scene.

geek

small think parking milage etc thiers old pathfinders and four runners out thier. 4x4 if you can as you may need to park in some wierd places. I drive a ford explorer crappy milage but the ride is worth it.

55,000 miles last year chasing news.

some other things, change your oil and air filter as often as possible. warm it up. learn how to change your plugs. if it's an automatic change the fluid anyway.

if pick up toyota then nissan. going with a full sized truck would be a pain parking and manuvering is a pain. I just picked up a king cab 4x4 toy for 3500$ seen beaters for under 1000$.

good luck take your time.

Cambot Mk. II

Originally posted by BoomDrive:
On the flipside-- if you get a company vehicle, will insurance rates for your personal car drop?
If it is what you will drive to and from work, yes.

My personal vehicle is listed as "recreational usage." That distinction saves me a lot of cash at the end of the month.

ransom

Originally posted by Dedline:
your insurance will go up if you tell them you use your personal car for work. I think it was like 20% more when it came up once with the wife.
That's exactly right. If you don't tell them and then have a problem or accident, try and make a claim, there's a good chance they can deny payment.

Pho Jo

at my old station, we had almost all unmarked units. if you go to accidents and such a lot, police and fire will remember your vehicle. not to mention I tend to use my camera a lot as a press pass!

Currentchief

be careful!

As a former insurance adjuster, your policy could be voided and your loss denied if you make a claim.

Suppose your car gets totaled while you're on a shoot and the adjuster determines that you use your car for business use only on a "permanent and ongoing basis".

That meant you lied on your application which is sufficient grounds for denial of the claim and cancellation of your policy.

This could leave you hanging if the accident is your fault. The insurance company would have no obligation to defend you in court and you would be on your own.

Jeez, I hate writing like that. No wonder I got out of it. :)

I usually drive on the shoulder of the roadway to get close to the accident. We have a vehicle press card issued by the public affairs office of the PD. You may want to see if that is available. Also the state of California has special working press plates for vehicles that you can get if you work full time in the media. Also I scope out the area for highway overpasses or other areas on city streets where I can shoot from. I even climbed a tree once to get a shot of a freeway accident so I could shot over the freeway sound wall.

When I went out with company gear on my own time for kicks, I just drove my own truck.. A 1998 2 door Rav4 4WD. I usually had the back seats out (not folded up), so I had a good amount of cargo room. Access to the back was a nice, big door. It was also nearly the same colour as the company vans, so I just took a hacked-up magnetic logo and placed it on the doors. Got me places!

Nice thing is the truck was very short, sat high and could go through anything.

It died this spring when I was hit from behind. It was even shorter after that!

Photog Cowboi

PRO user
My dream news vehicle is a Ford F-250 Supercrew! It sits up high enough to see over other things and is sturdy enough for stories that need it. As for insurance...it depends on the company. I had Geico and they knew about all the driving I do (mind you...I am driving a 2001 Impala that has a lot of miles on it) and well...insurance-wise...they nailed me because of all the driving.(rural PBS station and chasing stories and segments in long runs...bad!!!)

ewink

PBS does spot news??

I want me a Chevy Trailblazer... If I ever do freelance, that'll be my mobile home! (Cause I will be evicted trying to pay the rent. lol)

SeagateNews

i've got a 92 dodge dakota...really wanted a ford explorer sport, but i'm lucky to have any car at my age...

...okay, now another kinda related question...when it comes to press passes and stuff like that, how do i get them? i can probably find out about toledo, but do any smaller PDs or FDs issue them in your experience?

I'm thinking of getting a sticker that says 'media' and putting it on my visor, and whenever i go to shoot i'll just flip the visor down when i park...of course, that's not really ID

Photog Cowboi

PRO user
E...you would be surprised at what a cracked out PBS station in the southwest does for fun! *Chuckles* Hell...we kiddies were doing live shots and vo/sot's. Needless to say...I learned how to drive on backcountry roads!

BfloDave

Having worked in the business for the last 15 years both as a stinger and a station employee, I carry an amber light in my car. I put it on the roof when I arrive on an accident scene on the side of a busy road. I also where a reflective vest. It may look stupid wearing the vest and using the light, but I found that cops and firefighters will hassle you less when they see you trying to avoid becoming their next victim. It works. They use warning lights and wear reflective clothing. Just my opinion.

ewink

I think we should get arrowsticks (<=====>) installed on the back of our news vehicles...

But I know who I will be building a snowman with when that happens. :p

If I ever get back to Mpls and get a chance to freelance, I am going to light my car up like an amber xmas tree! wheeeeeeee......

And, yeah, the vests do look silly, but I would MUCH rather look silly then look flattened by a semi or something... I want one of those vests kinda like what the journalists in Iraq wear (not bullt proof though...) that has TV on them in big reflective letters... :D

If you are looking for a great SUV for your station, I would suggest the Ford Escape.
The reasoning is that it comes with all-wheel drive and you can throw it into 4X4 on the fly(which works great in the snow). It doesn't look the best, but the size is very useable. It handles like a car, with great gas mileage. It also is very affordable. The station I work at just got a new fleet of them in and we all love them. And for those fun stories where you get to drive on the mediums it works great wonders. Although, I personally don't like doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.