Driving with Tapes in Camera

MatttEaly

When I started in News we used DVC Pro. At that time we were taught not keep the tapes loaded in the cameras while driving because it would put wear on the heads. I am currently the CP at another station where we use mini DV. I was wondering if This could be a problem with the mini DV cams as well?? Anyone know??

nautilusvideo

Never heard that one before. Even if keeping a tape in the camera causes head wear it would be minimal compared to actually running a tape past the heads.

In the days of tape I ALWAYS kept a new tape and fresh battery on the camera at all times. Saved my butt many times.

MatttEaly

IT definatley saves time, and some of our staff has to omb, I feel bad yelling at them about something if it really isn't a problem. lol.Thanks.

cameragod

That’s right the Tooth Fairy works a day job as the Headwear Fairy :)
Honestly who comes up with this stuff?
When you turn the camera off the tape is spooled off the heads, no headwear.
In my opinion anyone leaving a news camera without a charged battery and a tape so it is ready to go should be looking for employment elsewhere along with whoever made up this headwear fairytale.

Sorry not being ready to go is a hot topic for me.

zac love

An old co-worker of mine once got points taken off in a package (some NPPA type award thing) because he didn't follow the "rule of threes." Ever time you have nat-pops, you have to have THREE nat pops in a row.

People come up w/ crazy ideas.

I'll second what people said above, keep a tape & battery ready in the camera at all times.

zac love

Good Point, I wish I could forward these comments to my old CP, lol. Thanks Guys.
What is stopping you? Unless you burnt old bridges, keep traffic flowing. I would think most reasonable managers would like to hear feedback about how they can do their job better. Unreasonable managers just want to hear how perfect they are.

FOXLight

A tip I learned in the swamps of Florida... Keep a fresh tape in but when you load the tape power the cam down before closing the tape door. That way the heads aren't contacting the tape until you power up,

amp

A tip I learned in the swamps of Florida... Keep a fresh tape in but when you load the tape power the cam down before closing the tape door. That way the heads aren't contacting the tape until you power up,
That the way to go. Put the tape in after you power down.

Tallinvegas

A few years ago I think some sand got in the tape or camera and with the up and down motion of the live truck a grain of salt or dirt put a scratch in the tape and the head. I agree with the above, put your tape in after you power down the camera... or get a tapeless camera :p

BVU110

If you get the chance to take the side off your camera, you can see exactly what happens. You can do this with power on. Like camergod says, it spools off completely. No danger.

The advantage of a pre-load also comes to play in keeping moisture errors from happening as often.

I also on each load, run bars and tone on the top, do a quick playback for QC. This helps when I open up on a run--roll, I know both tape and camera should be fine at 99.999999%... times. there is always a first for a dead camera. Do remember to power off after you do the above...

Just loading a tape with power down does not let me know if the camera is ready. This QC has saved me more problems than not. A tape that is bad usualy will give up the ghost on load up and a quick roll.

If its bad on spooling, it will lock; if it has dirt, it clogs the heads quickly, giving that dreaded error. If done right, you can check a camera out with time to do repairs , etc...

Since life is about location and timing, every second you save to run-roll will help you get that once in a lifetime money-shot. It happens only once if ever for most.

The danger that I would see is if you have the camera just bouncing about like a yo-yo while you drive, then you face physical damage more than anything else. There a good case, or seatbelted on the front pass seat works.

Now with P2 we get to learn all new tricks... like how to clean balky contacts in the field. ;) But running bars and tone still has merit, as this way you can do a QC on card seating, etc.

Last edited:

MatttEaly

Thanks Guys.

I am very excited to say that we have now finally upgraded to P2 so the tape thing should rarely be an issue!!!;)