Doug Jensen's Sony PXW-FS7 Master Class

Tv Shooter

Looks good as always Doug! Doing this on Vimeo is great, will there be an IPad version? Couple friends with FS7, have seen my IPad F5 guide and like the idea of having it right there with the camera.

acton

Another great job Doug. A great investment for anyone who owns, is looking to buy or renting the FS7. So much solid information packed in here.

Great video Doug.

2 quick questions which may be answered in the full series. Does the xdca allow for a slot type wireless receiver. It looks like it is thick enough that one could fit in there but I could be wrong. If I do end up buying a FS7 I would like to be able to use the SRC slot receivers not sony wireless.

And second is it possible to set the cards to record at 2 different resolutions without using an external recorder. I am thinking something like on a pro still camera setting slot 1 for raw and slot 2 for JPG fine. I am specifically thinking of a show I am working on right now where they are currently mastering in hd but it may be in the cards to go 4k in the future.

Douglas

Hi Geoff,

Yes, those topics are addressed in later chapters. Unfortunately, the answer to both of your questions is no.

Douglas

Yes, in the right hands it could certainly replace an EX3 and go way beyond it visually. But you need to spend a little money on decent lenses and have the skills and experience to make the camera sing. In the wrong hands, the FS7 can be a disaster. It is not a camera for beginners.

Starman

Cool, also looking at the PXW200 and then adding on a Sony F5 and maybe going that route. I kind of want to stay shooting on SxS cards.

Douglas

I think that is an odd combination given all the camera options we have today. How did you come up with that pair?

Starman

Douglas, to explain, I get a lot of requests for an EX3/EX1 type camera, which I rent for now, so PMW200 would be a good replacement AND I could shoot 4:2:2. Sometimes, my clients come with a wallet of SxS cards and I shoot on those and they take them home, so SxS is something I want to offer as media and format.

I am definitely excited about this FS7 as well, and I am seriously considering buying one along with an SxS card XDCAM.

Last edited: