Decision

SeagateNews

Alright, I've decided...

I'm going with the Sony VX2100, thanks to a whole bunch of hours I put in at my real job over the holidays. Now, I have a new question...

I saw it available at these two sites and they're AMAZING deals...naturally, I'm suspicious.

AMPhotoWorld.com $1089
DigitalLiquidators.com $1649

So has anyone dealt with these companies? I've called them both, and they seem legit. A&M is based in NY and they claim to be one of the largest wholesalers. Digital Liquidators told me they buy cameras by the pallate, hence the lower prices.

I finally got my parents onboard with the idea after they saw the quality from the GL2 that I borrowed for a day.

Any info is greatly appreciated! You guys have all helped me out in the past, so I'm looking forward to some helpful feedback...

RichVid

Careful there young man... A&M has been rated as a classic "bait and switch" company ... Some folks here have said DigitalLiquidators has been ok but I personally wouldn't trust 'em... Even if you feel like you're not getting the bait and switch, it may take alot LONGER to get your cam thru one of these cheaper companies - if at all...They know you're young, anxious, and classic "chum" ready to be had!!!!

Lowball=Scarey

read these horror stories:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1988.html

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2375-p3-s1-d1.html

Both of your potential companies are rated among the lowest of the low!

Companies like B&H, Adorama, Profeel, etc. all cost more but they deliver the goods QUICKLY... and with that comes piece of mind...DO NOT let yourself get screwed since you have waited so long and worked so hard...

[ March 01, 2005, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: RichVid ]

Terry E. Toller

Some of those outfits sell cameras that have absolutely no warantee in the US. They also strip the boxes. You get the camera but the battery, charger, strap, lens cap, shade and instruction book are EXTRA.

This sounds like a major investment for you. Talk to your dad. Maybe he can help you with a few bucks and you can buy from someone you can trust like B&H.

I also strongly suggest buying the service insurance for a couple of hundred dollars. A friend of mine just had his GL1 REPLACED with a GL2 for FREE! He wore out the GL1 and canon said it wasn't worth fixing. The insurance bought him a brand new GL2!!!

Foxwood

Terry is right. A loy of the low ball companies have those prices for a reason. Be sure to ask what language the menu is in. They are often in Japanese, which unless is a language you speak, will render the camera pretty much usless.

JacobA

I would not do business with any company like the two you were considering. For a purchase that big and expensive, it is worth the reliability and assurance. If it breaks in 2 weeks, who do you think is going to be on top of it? B&H, or Digitalliquidators?

Although I don't encourage business with a questionable site, If you ever do consider a questionable site, you should always check resellerratings.com and do some searches on google.

The following site has 91 reviews of digitalliquidators, almost all of them being negative. Here is the link to the VERY negative reviews of the (quote) "Dishonest, Deceitful, Scammers"

Some more bad stuff I found about the site

ALSO: I would not necessarily strictly follow what the Better Business Bureau suggests, but it is a word for the wise - there are 40 complaints regarding the company's selling practices, and 83 complaints about the company all together. The BBB's listing for digitalliquidators is available here .

I recently bought a Lacie 500 gig hard drive from the Apple store. Granted, the $450 purchase was a fraction of the cost of what you are looking at in a camera, but I spent an extra $70 to get the product from a store close to home, a store that I trust, and one in which I have absoulutely no question about its legitimacy.

On a random side note...I hate Best Buy. I know they are stupid, but I never expected them to try to sell me a $6.99 warrenty replacement plan on a $7.00 universal remote control.

jajack71

There's a company in Michigan about forty minutes from Toledo. It's called Roscor a guy by the name of Larry Walker is my sellsman. I have bought camera's from these types of companies (Mail Order) and the bait and switch is always an issue. Some of these companies will sell you a foreign model of these cameras. Just pay the extra money and buy from an authorized dealer that way if you need to have the product serviced at least you have a point of contact. Not some person on the phone giving you a hard time. Just my 2 cents.

HSStudent

Nice, I wish I had the cash to get a decent camera. You said you borrowed a GL2, any particular reason you got the VX2100 over the GL2?

HSStudent

Is it that much better?(sorry I never had a chance to really use a VX2100) I used a GL2 for a 3 day shoot and I use a GL1 on a daily basis. I've never really had any light problems, although I don't do Spot news type stuff and I use a light, if it's for an interview or whatnot, if it's really bad.

RichVid

I gotta tell ya...when shooting fire on 3ccd POS handys, I like the way the Canons render flame better than the Sonys... Now you know I've been on some good fires so I'm not just popping off...but that's about the only edge I give the Canon (even tho it's what I shoot with) ;)

I use the VX2100 as well, and Rich is right that the Canons get a bit of an edge on the flames. But only just a *tad* bit. I struggled for a while on the Sony vs. Canon debate internally before deciding to go with the VX2100. The low light performance is awesome, and that's a huge issue with me being a night-time shooter for the most part. If it weren't for that, I probably would've gone Canon, don't really know.