crown victoria's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike rose

What does everyone think of the Ford Crown Victoria as a newscar?....How does everyone lay out thier gear in the trunk? Are they reliable and safe....

Mike Rose
Asst. Chief Photographer
WTVF-Nashville

Old Phart

Once you put on the safety sheild (needed because crown vic's are known to burn up when rear ended-ask any Dallas cop)the trunk gets a little tight.
Why Crown Vic's

A stringer in Northern Cali has one. I think he's trying to go after the "cop" look. Has antennas on the roof and even replaced the wheels for black cop look-alike ones. It makes him look really cheesy when he pulls up next to the real cops. It's funny watching the cops face as they try to figure out who this nut is.

Besides that, I'd say that space wouldn't be in your favor. You can get a used, smaller SUV (escape, explorer) for a very good price and you'd be looking at around the same $$ for gas either way.

kfatica

We have a fleet of Crown Vics and Grand Marqs along with a couple of Explorers thrown in for good measure. Most of my career here in Cleveland has been spent inside larger cars like Olds Delta 88s, Vics and Marqs. In the early 90s I had a Taurus and a Sable.

I like the Vickies because they provide a good ride, are better on gas (not much, but a little), and in my opinion easier to organize than an SUV. The trunk is deep and will provide a safer haven for your camera than an SUV unless you have a camera vault. I hated my Explorer. Of course, that was in the mid-90s. It rode hard and eventually had suspension problems. The cockpit was noisy, too, which is another advantage I think the Vickies have.

I always kept my lighting case, tripod, mud and snow gear, cables and grip gear in the trunk. The camera rested comfortably on the back seat with my PortaBrace production pack, tapes and spare batteries on the floor right behind my seat. Also sharing the back seat was a plastic container that held my maps, phone books and station phone numbers that I could reach simply by putting my arm behind the passenger seat. In the Explorer things weren't alway within an arm's reach.

I also have a visor pouch where I can keep my company gas card, note paper, pens (for the reporters, of course) and gum handy.

Good luck picking a car!

Best,
Kim.

We have Crown Vics here in Philly. Nice ride, easy to load/unload. Only problem comes when the snow comes.

BluesDaddy

If you put your Portabrace Quickdraw camera bag on the back seat, you could buckle it in with the seat belt through the slot on the back of the bag. Then, you have quick access to the camera. You wouldn't need to go around back. Man, I would love to ride around in a Crown Vic. They are comfortable. Why else do you think old folks love 'em? :D

FastFord

Originally posted by BluesDaddy:
Man, I would love to ride around in a Crown Vic. They are comfortable. Why else do you think old folks love 'em? :D
And police departments to!!!

Deaf and Blind

Oh dear!

I decided to have a look at the new crown victoria, then thought well let's have a look at the specifications.
Then I saw the fuel consumption and almost fell over.
To give you some Idea I am looking at the new peugeot 307 Turbo diesel which returns 41 Urban 61 Highway / mpg as opposed to the crown at 17 urban 25 Highway.
Considering the cost of fuel and it's upward spiral I would have thought fuel economy would start to be an issue.

Natural Born Stringer

Originally posted by tvjason365:
A stringer in Northern Cali has one. I think he's trying to go after the "cop" look. Has antennas on the roof and even replaced the wheels for black cop look-alike ones.
Having such a car does have it's advantages. I had a 95 caprice detective special looking thing - got some good in car footage of various pursuits and other places I wasn't supposed to be. Lots of fun - just don't put lights and wig wags in them, that'll get you popped in most states these days.

I was going to get another one (I miss my cop car, LOL) but 2 factors have kept me from it. First, gas prices - way too high for me to consider trading in 4 small cylinders for 8 big thirsty ones. Secondly, we've had a rash of bad guys driving look-a-likes that have been pulling people over and robbing them. A woman even got raped because she pulled over for what she thought was an unmarked police car. So, needless to say, everyone driving around late at night in what-looks-like-a-cop-car-but-isn't has been getting felony stopped lately. Then it's questions questions questions, and half these cops don't like me anyhow. No thanks! I'll stick to my lowly Ranger pickup instead.

Shaky & Blue

An SUV will always be a better choice than a car as a news unit for one simple reason: height. No matter how big the trunk on that Crown Vic, you will still find yourself lifting things out of it on a daily basis with your arms extended, putting tremendous strain on your upper back. You will also have to bend over to pull your gear out, since having the back of the car in the way prevents you from being able to use your legs as effectively for lifting, putting tremendous strain on your lower back. Both of these movements are unhealthy and can cause or exacerbate injury when performed frequently.

With an SUV, you can pull the load toward you before lifting, and you don't have to bend to lift. It's a much healthier design. A minivan is usually better than a car, but the low deck makes it inferior to an SUV because you sometimes still have to bend

I find it ridiculous that companies will make new hires watch those silly videos demonstrating the proper way to lift, then put them in vehicles that make lifting the proper way impossible. With back problems being one of the major factors knocking photogs out of the field, I can't understand why any chief would support the choice of cars as news vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.