Critique....if you want

Latin Lens

I am mainly posting this to help some newbies about what I have been telling them via PM about blitz nats...about how you can edit quicker shorter nats to "build" an opening....rather than doing one long nat to start the piece.

If you do have any helpful critiques by all means please...help me improve or tell me your thoughts.

Please select Lawmaker, Lawbreaker?

http://www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11561274&nav=menu498_9_4

Thanks

Last edited:

nguyen.jason

Hey LL
Long time.... Mostly due to my part. I thought you had a good pkg there. It was really interesting. The only part I didn't care for as much is how many camera clicks you used in that one sequence. I thought maybe every time you showed another picture of the senators car, you could have continued on that theme and had a white flash and a click. That might have added alittle more punch to the story. Over all I thought it was good.
j

Latin Lens

You're right

Hey LL
Long time.... Mostly due to my part. I thought you had a good pkg there. It was really interesting. The only part I didn't care for as much is how many camera clicks you used in that one sequence. I thought maybe every time you showed another picture of the senators car, you could have continued on that theme and had a white flash and a click. That might have added alittle more punch to the story. Over all I thought it was good.
j
Jason...thanks. Yeah, it might have been too long and you're right about using the pics to supplement the camera clicks....however I only had two and since you're were going to see them more later in the piece I didn't want to overuse them....but you're right, had I had more photos thats exactly what I would have done.

JoeyO38

Hey LL, nice job! Just curious how long you got to shoot/edit? Looked really good.

Joe

Latin Lens

Plenty

Hey LL, nice job! Just curious how long you got to shoot/edit? Looked really good.

Joe
It was kinda rushed...atleast by our standards in the Investigative Unit....we interviewed the lady on a Thrusday...shot the football the next Saturday for about 21/2 hrs....edited over 2 days....with about 7 hrs.(edit time)to complete it. I helped out on our AM show when we shot the standups...wish I had waited because I was tired for the early shift and wasn't being creative enough...but oh, well. Thanks.

andyn

some of your video looked hot. not sure if its my monitor or web compression not it was noticeable to the point that i thought i'd mention it.

i agree with the comment about the shutter clicking NAT being a bit overtone if you will.

biggest issue for me was the fern shots i think i saw at least three long angle shots with the same or similar looking green fern/plant in the foreground.

I thought it was a good story. I like the build up. Sometimes stories fall off and seem long after "the golden nugget" but this one didn't for me.

The only part I didn't like was the standup where the reporter explained how she contacted the senator.

But I really liked the story.

Latin Lens

some of your video looked hot. not sure if its my monitor or web compression not it was noticeable to the point that i thought i'd mention it.

i agree with the comment about the shutter clicking NAT being a bit overtone if you will.

biggest issue for me was the fern shots i think i saw at least three long angle shots with the same or similar looking green fern/plant in the foreground.
I am hoping it was the video compression that made the video look hot....I repeated the cactus foreground shot for theme stuff...but I could see how it might have gotten old...and yes, I agree about the shutter nats.....thanks

Camera nat stuff was a little long ... Other than that I loved this story ! too bad you didn't get that senator on camera. Nice open ... and the standups really moved the piece. So many times I see standups that are forced that don't move the story. Good stuff my friend !

Photog236

Loved it.

Excellent job, I always appreciate your critiques and criticism and it was nice to see your work. Well executed. I have to comment on the shot of your reporter at her desk. EMMYS REALLY!? I'm sure it wasn't your choice to include these in your composition, they're probably always there. I just feel they were a little much, the story spoke for itself and there wasn't a need for her to impress us by whipping out her "emmy"

MMrozinski

Excellent job, I always appreciate your critiques and criticism and it was nice to see your work. Well executed. I have to comment on the shot of your reporter at her desk. EMMYS REALLY!? I'm sure it wasn't your choice to include these in your composition, they're probably always there. I just feel they were a little much, the story spoke for itself and there wasn't a need for her to impress us by whipping out her "emmy"
Some pretty decent shooting there. The camera stuff seemed a bit much and a lil out of place.

I couldn't agree more about the emmy thing. I was embarassed for the reporter there. I hope that is not a regular practice for her.