Cover letters

NoJobTog

What should I include in my your cover letter? What kind of background information should I include that you may not find on a resume? I have tried finding some examples online, but there is nothing specific to Photojournalists. Any tips?

bluffton

Letters of interest is where I introduce myself. You know, tell them about what makes me tick and why. Sort of like an ad in the paper. While I'm at it I throw out a few interest items: awards, situations, attitudes.

Use his/her name and their company information. it's subtle flattery and it is important.

Bandit

i'm not a chief, but i've always felt that cover letters should be pretty short and to the point... (i'm interested in the opening, i'm a hard worker, i've had success wherever i've gone)..

don't kill yourself trying to write an epic career summary... just make sure there's no major grammatical errors that would make you come across as a moron...

i sometimes wonder if they even really read cover letters!

DanHostler1985

i'm not a chief, but i've always felt that cover letters should be pretty short and to the point... (i'm interested in the opening, i'm a hard worker, i've had success wherever i've gone)..

don't kill yourself trying to write an epic career summary... just make sure there's no major grammatical errors that would make you come across as a moron...

i sometimes wonder if they even really read cover letters!
I agree. Ask for the job. Straight and simple.

Spot remover

Example of a good cover letter (in my opinion):

Dear Chief,

My name is Joe Photog and I'm interested in the videographer position you advertised in B-roll.net

I'm currently a M-F photog at WXXX and have been there for the past three years as where I helped the station convert to P2 cameras and install non-linear editing stations.

I like working as part of a team and my co-workers will confirm I'm a hard working photog with the ability to adapt to a wide range of situations. I can run live trucks and sat trucks, edit tape-to-tape and non-linear and love to fly in the station helicopter. I've had to often work on my own as a field producer and I'd like to bring these skills and abilities with me when I join the staff at WXXX.

Please review my tape and resume and I can be reached at 209-655-5647. I'm willing to relocate and I'm excited at this opportunity to achieve even greater things at your station.

Sincerely,

Joe Photog.

The point, IMO, is to show some skills or abilities not directly mentioned in the resume, in this case, some field producing experience and the eagerness to work as part of a team. Notice I kept it short and sweet and ended it with a statement of "here's what i can do for you!"

Other chiefs may want other things, but this would keep me looking at the resume on the next page.

rocky1138

thanks Spot remover, very helpful. any more chiefs out there that have a sample cover letter that they'd like to see?

amp

Most importantly, never start off the letter, "To whom it may concern". Find out the chief's name and put that at the top of the letter.

AKinDC

Here's the most important thing to remember about cover letters: They'll never get you a job, but they can easily lose one for you. So keep it simple, and don't try to put too much into it. I've seen far too many cover letters that make the photog seem like an egotistical jerk; do your best to avoid that. Tell the Chief who you are, where you work now, what your job is, and why you want to work at his/her station. Nice and simple.

newsshooter

You have to start with "To Whom it may Concern" when you're appling for the chief job and it's being sent to the human resources. Maybe find out who the ND is?

amp

Well duh. Put someone's name on it. Or in the least,"Dear WXXX," so it doesn't look like a form letter, and that you actually know who you are applying to.