Counterfiet Pkg

Latin Lens

Well Mac...its not great but its not good either. I think you almost had it and what I mean by that is....and its either unintentional or intentional (can't tell)...but you established a theme with your dramatic lighting of the money, which was/is a good idea. It helps provide b-roll for something you obviously don't have...but you only used like 3 shots...and that's why I think it began to fall apart on you because I saw random traffic shots (and was like wtf?)...and then you used boring screen shots off a computer (I am assuming off detectives comp.) but when you put all that together in a pot...it just doesn't mesh well. In stories like these you need to get creative...so the idea with the lighted money was worth exploring more...then you add a creative standup...if you light the detective so everything "matches"....there's consistency in the story from begining to end...if not, then it will always look weird and off....so as a photog you need to take the art direction sometimes...grab the reins, explore, experiement and hopefully if you work well with your reporter it'll be a team effort to come up and maintain the concept throughout the piece.

I completely agree with you. One thing that is weird about our station is that photogs don't actually edit what we shoot for reporters. Though to my understanding were trying to change it so we work more together rather than just the shoot. As of late i've really been trying to take new directions in my shooting. I love the artsy stuff which is what I'm trying to develop. So all in all, would you say most of the problem was in the editing and the inconsistency of a theme?

Latin Lens

Yes....and yes. Now don't think you have to only use the artsy money stuff. You can use other b-roll but make sure you use it context like if they tried to pass the money at other businesses then use wide shots of shopping centers or get more in-depth b-roll with cash registers...stuff like that...the "art" puts your personal shooting style and stamp on a piece. A vast majority of photogs shoot and edit their stuff and it makes a huge differance. Try if you can.