Consumer

photoguy603

I'm now shooting consumer stories where we help get their money back from companies that they have been wrong by etc. The problem I've been running into is sometimes these stories can be video poor. Here is one I shot recently. Anyone have any ideas how I can make these look more interesting. I'm trying to make these more of a story about the person as well not just paperwork and cutaways. Thanks!

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/investigations/NBC10-Responds-376402961.html

Latin Lens

I'll assume it the IKEA recall investigation??? It just seems like a bunch of file video really, but nonetheless let's have a video poor challenge conversation. You're going to find that you'll have a lot of documents maybe, receipts, paperwork, etc and yes, it'll be boring video unless you start to use projections for better graphic work. For example...you're doing a story about a refrigerator that needs fixing (whatever)...we'll I'll shoot the refrigerator so I can put paperwork on the side, on the door, freezer door, whatever looks best to help jazz it up. So shoot or look for video you can freeze frame to put documents into them. Incorporate both worlds...solve the challenge. Then you'll be able (and I hope your graphics team can do this) to use some 2D/3D type animations along with video. I like to use video and graphics especially if its like a pie chart or bar graphs. I love using animations for bar graphs for things like cell phone coverage or any kind of comparison. I shoot a cell phone on the table and then use an animation of the bar graphs growing to show whatever...its a creative look that I use in various ways. Just find the ways you can rotate, flip, place graphics into the video. Your creativity and graphic work will start to showcase. Good luck.

Latin Lens

Matt...pretty good job on this one. I'll take it that you again want to know how to "jazz" this up a bit? Well, there's a few things you coulda done. Especially with airplanes or cars or trucks that we are doing an investigations on...I try and get those frame in to frame out type shots so I can pull in graphics on the back end like they are "following" the vehicle or plane...especially with text only graphics. Its a nice look when they are moving fast because you can use them as wipes too and that sort of thing to help with pacing. Also...again take a second to really think how you can formulate a graphical theme for these types of stories as well. I woulda used the arrival/departure board to have done some stuff graphically too. Ask the graphics department to help with that. Its not bad but you just need to start crafting better the use of graphics. It took me awhile but eventually if you watch enough of others people's stuff you'll get ideas.