Construction Woes

Latin Lens

Quick and dirty with this one eh Tony? Not too bad with this one. There seemed to be a weird wide-wide edit near the begining at around :24 secs...just avoid wide to wide that are too similar because its like a odd axis and jump-cut. You got some good nats but really where my critique lies for you is how to really make this better overall. Again I am familiar with your situation...so the approach and structure are total key elements in a given story...you are both the photog and reporter...one person that works as a team to put forth the best story. In your case one is better than the other...but you're lucky in a way because you really have a great oppurtunity with this artistic control. Ask yourself what info needs to get out there in this story....then think of structure...how to achieve this...should I start with the problem off the top...should I setup to reveal in the middle? Several ways to do this and you'll do it when you develop your style and approach. Then execute..find the characters...the shop owner...the construction guy...and frequent visitor for unbiased perspective...how you structure and where you place bites and how interesting the visuals are will work with you towards a stronger storytell. Expand your studies...watch as many good stories available to see the various structure and approaches. The reason I say this is because this piece could have been slightly better had we identified with a struggling shop owner...the we give them the why? Because of the construction outside their door(s) hindering foot traffic...talk about project and seek unbiased opinions...then close it off with shop owner in a empty store...I see the potential and so should you. Stop being so traditional with your approach...have fun, put your personality into it...but your style stamp when and where you can. You're getting better bit by bit and thats the way it should be...just envision what else could possibly be there.

Great stuff as usual Latin. I'm trying to soak as much in as possible and apply what I can. It's definitely a process though.

It's funny that you mention identifying the shop owner more. I gave my producer a call while in the field to update my situation and find out if there was anything else I could do while I was out. During the conversation I was told I needed to produce a 1:20 second piece, so I gave them just that. I then watched as our producer chopped elements out of the pkg, determined to get it as close to 1 minute as possible. At first I tried to defend what I had, but as time ticked away I became more and more disheartened and just let her do her thing. I decided I didn't have time to argue since I still needed to voice, edit and set up a live shot for another reporter. My original script started with the yogurt shop, referencing the summer and how it is normally a busy time for him, but ... and where the pkg starts now is what followed (with a few differences). If I can keep myself motivated enough the next time around, I will voice and cut my version of the story once my day is over so I can compare ... and share. Up to this point it has been tough because I get so discouraged (not to mention frustrated) at the changes that are made that I can't bring myself to stay late and work on it knowing it would only be for personal satisfaction.

Latin Lens

Well...that sucks. But my suggestion to you is, and you are still learning to write, again...try and find or view resources that have you learning to improve your writing and I say this because if they want a 1:20 pkg...there is probably something in the writing they are finding is unnecessary so its "killed"...however if you take another approach as you improve you'll see that as you being to write so they can't "kill" it you'll be able to do what you want/need to help tell a story. Write so they can't "kill" should be in your head as you formulate ideas....that way....a quick short (like :20-:25 secs) could be off the top and it could be the open that has tremendous impact on the rest of the story. Its going to put a little pressure on you to learn quick...but experiement and try...don't let them win...sneak attack so they don't know you're coming and get to concentrate on your work instead of theirs.