Clearing Laptops and Bad Deleting

MAX

We're about a month into our HD conversion. We're XDCam,Final Cut Pro on Mac pro laptops. Laptops are signed out each day. Having a problem keeping disk space clear on the laptops. I've also had a problem with media being deleted before it's even been used. That's driving the ND crazy!

I can have each photog delete his/her own media when done with it. But,I never know when a reporter or producer still living in the "tape on the shelf" world will need something a week or two from now. I already have 1 500G portable hard drive and am working on purchasing more.

Who is responsible for clearing disk space on your laptops?

How do you decide what needs to be saved longer?

at my station we are supposed to delete clips as soon as we are done with it. we send our video up to the server and that is supposed to be our file system. we are having the same issue with video being deleted, the way to fix it..they bought external hard drives. this isn't the greatest of fixes but there's really nothing else to do other than keeping the laptop yourself til your done and two buying back uo drives. sucks

tvwcyj

terabyte

You can get Terbyte storage for 150 at circut city! and then you could make folders for each person... Or the more expensive way is instead of the hard drive going with the the laptop.. each photog would get their own drive...

zac love

I would say the only responsibility is to save footage. Anyone & everyone can delete files in the capture scratch folders if they need more space.

If you need something saved, it is up to you to save it.

XDCAM would fit about 15min on a blank DVD, right? (quick math might be off a bit)

Buy some blank DVDs in the short run, get quality brands from Newegg for less than a can of pop.

Long run is either purchase large shared storage, or buy everyone a USB hard drive. They're about $100 for 250GB (take this out of your tape budget), less than the size of a DVCPro tape & are powered from the comptuer.

Just remember that hard drives fail, so if you really need to save something, save it twice.

zac love

You're XDCAM?? Buy extra disks! What are they, $45? Instant tape on a shelf. Try figuring out this problem with P2.
XDCAM or XDCAM EX?

If it is XDCAM, make it a "save" disc just like a "save" betatape.

If it is XDCAM EX, well then same problems as P2. Well, more like 33% of the problem, as XDCAM takes up about 33% of the space P2 HD does.