Choosing between the FS7 and Canon 300 MKII

Starman

Okay,

So the Sony FS7 is out and I may have a chance to rent it.

Howver, currently, clients are asking me for C300 or sometimes accepting a C100, so I am renting both of those on a semi-regular basis. However, I don't want to buy a C300 because the FS7 is out and it's 4K. Supposedly, Canon will come out with a C300 MKII at NAB this year.

Question, will clients that currently accept C300 accept the FS7 in it's place since they are still large sensor? Or, would a C300 MKII be a better bet if clients are married to Canon? Are they married to Canon or do they just want a large sensor??

Capt. Slo-mo

I have generally found that if a company or producer is married to the C300 family, they are unlikely to go off the reservation.

The exceptions come from folks that mostly want the large sensor look, and are willing to discuss alternate gear...but they tend to be in the minority, especially if they have a well established track record with the C300.

The better question might be how long the C300 will retain that level of popularity, if it has it, in your market.

Starman

True, but I'm betting Canon will come out with a new camera, and if it's as good or better than the C300, clients would have no problem accepting it. Just keeping an eye out and observing, seeing if FS7 will take a place among freelance ENG alongside F5 and F3 shoots, what will happen with Canons, etc. Still renting for now.

Capt. Slo-mo

It's always a tough dance, this Game of Cameras. A seasoned freelancer told me many years ago that you rent until you're doing it so often, you can't stand it anymore.

OTOH...that's also a good way to jump on the bandwagon after it's crested the hill and is rumbling down the other side. There is no easy answer.

A better question for you vis a vis the Canon/FS7...how much does 4K (now or in the near future) play into your equation?

Starman

I know that a LOT of freelancers are buying an FS7, and I think it may catch on as a popular camera. I really like all the specs. Question, it says "XDCAM" on the side, is this camera capable of shooting XDCAM codec? Just wanted to be sure if I bought one it would be able to provide XDCAM clients who are willing to accept the camera instead of an EX3 or older generation ENG cam.

Douglas

Yes it can do XDCAM, but not the older 35Mbps 4:2:0 version of XDCAM that the EX3, EX1, and F3 record. It does the newer 50Mbps 4:2:2 XDCAM that the F800, 700, 500, 400, 300, 200, X180, F5, F55, A7s, etc. all record.

XDCAM 50 Mbps
XAVC-I
XAVC-L50
XAVC-L35
4K DCI
4K UHD
HD

Plus -
ProRes internally (requires optional XDCA unit)
RAW to an external recorder (requires optional XDCA unit)

Douglas

Steve,

Nope, I don't have any plans to be at NAB this year. Gotta stay home and actually work instead!

Run&Gun

The FS-7 is being pushed more by those that bought it than by anyone actually asking for it like the C300 or F5/55.

The FS-7 is being pushed more by those that bought it than by anyone actually asking for it like the C300 or F5/55.
I have seen them starting to pop up. I think that one of the issues is they have been hard to get ahold of and If I am not mistaken the model with lens included did not start shipping until recently.

Tv Shooter

No, there are people calling for it, because they assume that given the price of the camera, they'll get a cheaper rate for it. Fielded 2 of those while at NAB. No, sorry, I'll do it with the F5 for my regular rate.

One of those was today....half day work for a full day pay. :)

Run&Gun

No, there are people calling for it, because they assume that given the price of the camera, they'll get a cheaper rate for it. Fielded 2 of those while at NAB. No, sorry, I'll do it with the F5 for my regular rate.

One of those was today....half day work for a full day pay. :)
And there you have it...

Those aren't the calls you want to get or the people you want to work for, anyway.

That is one of the considerations at this point that needs to be talked about amongst skilled operators. Should this camera be treated as a cheaper alternative B type camera or is it really a A camera with a lower body price. And should the day rate for it be the same as the other options out there. My inclination is that it is an A option and should be billed as such.

Tv Shooter

That is one of the considerations at this point that needs to be talked about amongst skilled operators. Should this camera be treated as a cheaper alternative B type camera or is it really a A camera with a lower body price. And should the day rate for it be the same as the other options out there. My inclination is that it is an A option and should be billed as such.
If it's the primary camera.....meaning I am shooting with it, then it's option A and billed as such. Doesn't matter what camera it is.

As a 2nd, lockdown it would be a B cam, and billed as such.

Starman

Exactly. I shoot with an HPX370 and it's my A camera, so I bill it as such. If it's a cutaway, then no. Simple as that.

If it's the primary camera.....meaning I am shooting with it, then it's option A and billed as such. Doesn't matter what camera it is.

As a 2nd, lockdown it would be a B cam, and billed as such.
Point taken and usually my tact. I had been more thinking of the prevailing thought amongst producers who do DSLR shoots and EX3 shoots and expect them to be done at 50 percent the going rate. I have run into a number of EX-3 guys in the last year, who some proudly and others not so much, who tell me their day-rates are. I can say this much, the numbers I am talking about are in the range of half to say 60 percent of what they should be.