Cheap way for live shots?

patssle

At my school, we don't have a way to do live shots unless we either run a long cable from our control room out the building or patch into the fiber from various spots on campus and run the cable from that. The fiber works well, but we have to have computer services set it up (routing and borrowing the transmitter) and then gain access to the drop.

Are there any means that are "cheap" for live shots? Is there any programs that feed live over the internet? I've been playing with some webcam software that turns the DV camera into a "webcam", but havn't gotten broadcast quality yet. Any microwave wireless or such that could work within a 1 mile radius?

2gigch1

Simply put, no.

If there was a 'cheap' way to do anything broadcast tv would be doing it.

It's all about massive sustained bandwidth, and at best you will get the massive part but not sustained or vice versa with the internet. It is simply not designed for steady video transmission, it's designed for data relay.

patssle

How do some of these stories overseas come in? They don't look like full broadcast quality, quality compressed, but acceptable to air.

Dirge

patssle said:
How do some of these stories overseas come in? They don't look like full broadcast quality, quality compressed, but acceptable to air.
Do you mean satellite video phones? Cheap? No. Full broadcast quality/acceptable to air? Not really.

patssle said:
Any microwave wireless or such that could work within a 1 mile radius?
Yep. Steve sells a bunch.

The really good stuff:

http://www.supercircuits.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=379

And the cheaper…works if it’s set up right stuff (meaning high gain, high directional tx/rc antennaes):

http://www.supercircuits.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=378

Spacey

Laird Waveshot... but I would suggest keeping line-of-sight. I use it to monitor, but if you want cheap, you get what you pay for. It's less than $1k - but intended for monitoring. Or get those deals from Markertek, intended for security work.