CARNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eaglewolf

I will be leaving for Israel this Sat. and everything is in place except the CARNET. Is this a necessary expense or can I get by with a listing on station letterhead?

dinosaur

You should fill out a US Customs "Certificate of Registration" https://forms.customs.gov/customsrf/getformharness.asp?formName=cf-4455-form.xft

Click "use abroad"
Where it says "List articles exported" type "TV camera equipment for temporary use overseas-see attached list"
List ALL of your gear, country of manufacture, value and serial numbers, if any, on a station letterhead and attach it to this form. Type on the top of your dated letterhead "The following TV equipment is being used for the purposes of a news assignment outside the United States of America. All of the equipment will be returned to the USA upon completion of this assignment."
Take the form and the letterhead along with all of the gear (sometimes they want to check the serial numbers against your list) to the U.S. Customs office at the airport the day prior or on the day of departure. Tell them you have a camera registration list. They will stamp the form and list. Make certain that they stamp, initial and date your equipment list!!! Then make 20 Xerox copies of everything that has been stamped before you depart. This will make not only your entry to other countries easier, it will speed your passage through U.S. Customs when you return.

Some countries will accept this document alone. Some will only accept a Carnet. Others will require a large customs bond if you arrive without a Carnet. Know before you go! Phone your network's bureau in Israel and ask them what you need to get your gear in easily and cheaply. Ask them if they can recommend a customs broker to help you if needed. If you can't reach the bureau in Israel call your network's foreign desk for help. Its always good to let them know you are there too. They can be of immense help if you have problems over there.

Todio

Anybody know the Canadian rules?? I'm going to Greece in late May. I think the Producer will be putting the cam gear on Carnet but can I just get him to add the audio gear too?

Eaglewolf

Todio,
Dinosaur saved me a lot of time and money with the heads up on the U.S. Customs Certificate of Registration. You only need the carnet if you are going to more than one country for extended periods of time. It is a declaration of your gear and what your intentions are. It is also a a type of insurance policy. It is also VERY EXPENSIVE. I went to our local customs and got the skinny on the Cert. of Registration. It was all I needed to get through Toronto and Tel-Aviv customs.

Good Luck!

cameragod

A tip on carnet. Some issuers make you pay a fee based on the total replacement cost of your kit but if you say it is rented and list the rental price rather than the replacement price you can pay a lower fee.

WV24fpspro

Strong advice for overseas travelers: Use extreme caution with import/export restrictions reguarding computer hardware and software. Also note: if you're bringing IR lens attactments that most of them arent't permitted to be brought outside of the United States. I'll follow up these issue with a posting in the general subject heading.

Status
Not open for further replies.