Canopus ADVC 1000

cyndygreen1

Picked up one of these to use in a rack hooked up to multiple (old format) decks through a router so I can digitalize all of my old vhs, betamx, umatic, beta, s-vhs, vhs-c, dvcpro tapes. Yeah, there's some 16mm film stock in there too, but haven't figured out a way to route it directly. :)

Problem is when I hook up a deck or camera to the Canopus (digital analog/analog digital) converter it keeps flashing red and giving me a notice that it doesn't see timecode, even though when I scroll thru what is hooked up it shows the TC input as being there.

What I'd really like is if someone out there has worked with this or a similar unit can contact me and we can discuss what I may/may not be doing properly. I do not have anything hooked up through the router yet...just trying to get the Canpus unit to work first. I've downloaded the .pdf of the manual and am pulling out hair trying to work my way thru it. Thanks in advance.

Necktie Boy

Hi Cyndy,

After looking at the spe'c, it mention that the unit takes external sync. Under the "Genlock, disable it if you are not using the genloc function.
Also, make sure that the 9 pin remote is disable. Since you say you are using a router, not needed.

I think if you disable those two function, the flashing red light should go away.

A few other setting you should check..

Monitor out should match your connection...Composite, S-Video, Component. Factory set is composite.

As a stand-alone unit, make sure you have it set to DV to SDI This should output a signal from your computer.

Sounds like you got it used? I would go make sure that the factory settings are set since the previous owner may have changed them.
There is a setting to reset to factory settings in the menu.

In the menu, you can output color bars. If I read correctly, you should be able to see bars on the monitor and bars in "capture mode" in your software. You didn't mention what you are using, but you did talk about Premiere Pro.

The big question is the router's output SDI? And if it is, is it SD-SDI. The unit doesn't do HD-SDI, nor analog inputs.

Disclaimer..I don't have one.

Necktie Boy

Last edited:

Necktie Boy

Rereading your question.....

From the diagrams, the firewire is only for output, not input. If you connect your camera or deck via firewire, it seems that it won't see it....Flashing red light.

Let me dig around some more.

Necktie Boy

What I should have said is that you cannot digitalize through the box via firewire. You have to connect directly to the camera/deck via firewire to the computer. You can connect a camera/deck via firewire to convert to SDI, or the other way around.

So, I really should have said that the firewire is for input/outputfor the box only. It won't pass a firewire input.

If you are trying to digitalize footage via the firewire to the computer, through the box, it won't do it.

To see if the box is working, use the color bars test.

Last edited:

cyndygreen1

Necktie Guy you have given me a ton of homework...genlock/remote are disabled...all I am feed in is TC.
I checked the DIP switches and they are set correctly.
The rest of your suggestions will be done tomorrow (later today???) after I get some sleep.
My goal is simple: to feed analog from a source - without the router if need be - thru the converter directly by firewire into my computer. I can use the new toy/Dell with Premeire Pro or the old standby Macbook with choice of FCE or iMovie (6 or 9).
Will get back to you with clearer head in am.
And thanks for your efforts. Boucing ideas of another head/set of heads makes me think better. (like an old dog worrying a bone)

Necktie Boy

Hi Cyndy,

When you mean "TC", you mean timecode? Where is this time code created?

Also, this box will not take an analog signal in. You have to have a deck that outputs a SDI signal, or a box that will convert analog into a SDI signal.

If you have been trying to feed a plain old VHS signal via the SDI input, nothing will happen. No signal will be seen.

cyndygreen1

Necktie - For some reason this past week I've been over my head with work and projects...and won't have free time until Sunday. Unusual for me. I'm beginning to suspect (well, hate to admit it, but know) I didn't know what I was doing when I picked up the unit. You have really given me an education. Can't wait to have time to sit down with your comments and dig into the guts of the thing.
Thanks again for all you help/suggestions.