Canada with Gear... any issues

Stoney

I'm traveling to Canada next week. Not shooting news, it is a corporate gig. I'm not getting a carnet but could go find a US customs agent to stamp my gear list. I am traveling light... light kit, camera, tripod.

I've done the searches, but no threads seem to reference Canada travel from the US. I've shot news assignments in Canada, but you get a pass for being news... they let you right in. It's been a while though.

Any thoughts are much appreciated! Time's a-wastin'!

Scott

Run&Gun

If you are flying, Canada is probably one of the worst places in the world to travel in and out of with gear. I know guys that have traveled to Russia, Japan, Europe, the Middle East, etc. without a carnet and have had no problems(I say they're lucky as hell), but I've heard way too many horror stories about Canada from some guys I shoot with and I've had the dis-pleasure myself of their customs experience. I especially loved how they made it seem like they were doing me a HUGE favor once they finally decided to "let me in" with the camera.

Shootblue

One of my friends just had his gear withheld a day there...allegedly it was a customs mistake here that did it...but I'd probably do what you need to just in case.

Capt. Slo-mo

While I have gone in and out of Canada a couple of times without a carnet, I have been told by Canadian customs supervisors that, at the border agent's discretion, you may be required to post a bond for a sizable portion of the value of the gear; more than 50% as I recall, and in cash on the spot.

Or they may just wave you through like they did for me.

A carnet is your best protection.

Stoney

Won't be doing the carnet, I just don't have enough time to make it happen. I'm going to bring a gear list to SFO tomorrow and see if Customs will stamp it to make it sort-of official, I guess. Hope I make it through!

dhart

I got "busted" at Toronto airport a few years ago on a Steelcase gig. It was not fun. Luckily Steelcase was able to send over their customers broker to post the 10% customs cash bond. Then there was the little matter of a work permit. I was able to talk my way out of that because it was only a one day gig. If you want to be hassle free setup a customs broker and obtain a work permit before hand. These guys are pretty good at sniffing out production gear and you have a high likelihood of getting tagged.

It's much easier to cross the Canadian border via car. Much less likely to get rousted. Don't know if that's a possibility but that's how I'd go next time.

Stoney

Yeah, I'm going to be crossing my fingers, there isn't much I can do at this point, the trip is tomorrow and I only had a weekend to prep. No carnet available. The interesting thing is that NAFTA rule 305 states:

"Temporary Admission of Goods. Article 305 requires each government to grant duty-free admission of the following goods, regardless of origin, when imported from another NAFTA country:
professional equipment ("tools of the trade") necessary for carrying out business or professional activities; equipment for the press or for sound or television broadcasting, and cinematographic equipment; goods intended for sports purposes;
goods intended for display or demonstration; and commercial samples and advertising film."

Berkeley Shooter

One time after a long hang up in customs in Toronto, the agent said "next time just say your shooting news." Another time when questions started to be asked in Vancouver I asked if I could purchase a work permit. He sent me to a window where I paid $50 and was on my way.

Both of these things were quite a while ago, but worth a try.

Hope it goes well!!

Stoney

Here is the update. I got in, but was hassled at the airport. First guy says that gear can be only worth $1600 until you get pulled aside. Got pulled aside. Next guy just does the standard "how do you expect to work. How can you come here without carnet" lines... which is the border patrol M.O. for seeing who gets riled up and seems suspicious. I just explained that I was in town for a big conference, the carnet was not available to me, I was shooting a news shoot. I had a list of equipment for him to view, with serial numbers.

The bottom line was, he made me sweat it for five minutes and let me go, with a warning to get a carnet next time. That was it. I think he realized that I wasn't doing anything weird. Did I luck out, probably some. I expected to have to get a local broker come assist me. But, Canadians are tough but fair.

I did not have to argue my case, it just worked out. I do feel, though, that NAFTA Article 305 pretty much exempts broadcasters, in general not just news, from having to pay any duties on temporary entrance of gear into Canada, Mexico, or the US.

Prior to leaving the US, I asked customs to stamp that list of gear and they refused. I don't think that is an option any longer. The US agent said that they won't stamp anything unless it is an official form. Yes, I asked if there was an official form other than a carnet, and was told that there was not. So, don't count on the US helping you out without carnet! He did say that entry into the US will be much easier than Canada, US Customs doesn't care that much about this stuff. I might be questioned but they are looking for big fish to fry, essentially.

I will update if anything changes when I head back to US in two days! Crossing fingers that it all will work out ok!

Scott, did you use the us customs form 4455 certificate of registration? Ive used that on almost every trip Ive been on and never had a problem.

I will say the customs agents at SFO are some of the least helpful Ive encountered.

Stoney

You know Chuck, after reading your post, I should have just filled out that form you've mentioned. US Customs agent told me that the form was not appropriate for my situation, usually just accounts for a few personal items, not business items.

You are right, US customs in SFO were nice, but not very helpful. Three guys there basically looked at me and said, "good luck!"

Awesome. At least I have had good luck so far, so maybe they were more helpful than I realize...

wtv

Hi all,

I am off on a shoot next week in Africa and would love any info on getting my gear back into the US. I will be flying out of IAD.

Thanks

I went to africa via iad a ton back in the day using only a certificate of registration. I would make extra copies of gear lists as you may have more issues in africa depending on how good your fixer is. They love them some rubber stamps in Africa.

acton

It cuts both ways guys. No Carnet, no getting in to the US. For news I've never needed a work permit, US customs just wants to know that it I was working for a Canadian outlet, but alway use a Carnet now.

freedom

What I did on my dozen crossings was bring a letter on company letterhead that stated I was shooting something only for use in the USA. That worked every time with little to no resistance by Canadian Immigration. The US form for bringing gear back into the US also was accepted by Canadian customs. Half the time no questions at all. This was from late 1990's to around 2006.