Can I get sued for warning about a bad client?

Starman

Could I get sued for libel if I warn fellow producers not to work with a certain company, even if they screwed me over?

thanks,

Capt. Slo-mo

Well, the truth is generally a good defense in a libel/slander case. But this is probably a question best posed to your legal counsel.

Tv Shooter

All you can say is exactly what happened to you. Such as "XX never paid me for a job I did for them".

I had a non paying client threaten to sue me for libel and slander once. I told him, please do. I then sued him a week later, and ended up getting a default judgment when he never answered the suit….as I knew he would.

Most people that say they're going to sue, never do. My response is always "go ahead". And libel/slander is extremely hard to sue for…any lawyer taking that case will require a lot of money upfront, and unless you have very deep pockets/insurance, that same lawyer is going to tell the guy to stop wasting his time.

prosheditor

I agree with Mr Slo-mo and Mr Shooter. Just be sure to tell the truth and be able to support it if challenged.

Another factor to consider is how much money they owe you. Is that worth the potential fallout whether you are right or wrong? Who else do they know that you are or are not aware of that could affect other future projects because of your comments. Depending on the amount owed to you, it may be better to walk away and say nothing. Or simply say to someone your trying to warn, I'd be careful working for that person or group. Sometimes just a subtle generic comment like that can speak volumes, especially if you are known as a reputable person. It's frustrating but it's the way it works sometimes.

And finally, get everything in writing! I lost a battle for non-payment to me simply because I didn't have the terms in writing or any witnesses. That and other close calls taught me the importance of documenting the terms and how to read and choose solid clients better. Good luck.

2 Hungry Dogs

You can get sued for anything whether you are right or wrong. And there is nothing you can do about it.

As Richard said, it probably isn't worth their time. As long as you keep your comments to an accurate reflection of your personal experience it should be defenseable. However, a lawsuit that you win will still cost you 10's of thousands of dollars, a lot of time, and a lot of stress.

What is your desire? To warn others? You probably have realized that you won't get your money form this loser so you want to stick it to them. Make it difficult to do business since nobody will accept their offer. It is true that libel (written) and slander (spoken) is hard to prove and can't be enforced if it is true. But truth needs to be established. Caution is best. You would prefer to get paid but also want this person to suffer the consequences of their unscrupulous behavior. As others suggested it would be best to simply raise a red flag to your trusted peers in person. Decent professionals only want to work with decent clients so, depending on the scope and scale of your market, it may be difficult for this person to stay in this business and your peers would appreciate the warning.