Campustown Blaze

BryantVW

The result of a few hours hauling gear around Campustown... and also why my camera and bag now smell like smoke.

Shot and cut this earlier this week... quite a big fire that ended up totally destroying the buildings. Good thing students were on Spring Break or this thing might have been worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQc1qRUJjpA

Welcoming any and all critiques!

MMrozinski

Not a bad job... some decent stuff. Here's where you need to improve.

The story itself lacked focus and I almost fell asleep listening to your reporter. She need to have a little more enthusiasm. You both need to work to find the story within the story. Focus it around a person or two. Maybe there is someones business that is on the verge of catching on fire and they are trying to save it... just an idea.

All the flashy editing didn't really do much for the story. You probably watched Darren's spot news story and experimented on your own. I'll say this. I was actually in B-more the day he shot that. We were at dinner that evening and he mentioned himself that he really shouldn't have put those 3 flashy edits in there but he couldn't help himself. It did add to the pacing of his story but maybe was a bit excessive. That's to be debated another day. The point is... have meaning when you are making those edits. Make them for the viewer not for the photographer. They work with moderation. You got a little quick cut happy.

You need to make better use of your tripod. Over the should is fine. Collect what you can and "zoom with your feet" not with the camera. Go back and clean it up with the tripod. Look for things that make noise so you can add nats that will help you pace the story. I need to see and hear pictures.

Probably the biggest difference between the average photographer and the elite is the way they collect sound and moments. That's what sets you apart from the rest. Lose the stick mic and start working the crowd with your lav. "Use your wireless as a weapon". It should always be on someone. Find creatives shots for your subjects and wait for your moment. While your waiting pick up any other video that you can get. Shoot and move.

Keep hacking.. you'll get there.

BryantVW

Thanks for the tips. I showed this to my chief yesterday and he said a lot of the same things. I hate that I didn't use a tripod. The shots that were on sticks were shot by another photog. I could make plenty of excuses... I had to walk everywhere, there were a ton of people... but in the end, I need to start using my tripod more.

The whip cuts were a tad unnecessary. I like the way Darren did them and just thought I'd try it out. I don't think it's something I'll ever use again... I'd rather my video speak for itself then try to force the speed of it.

More use of my wireless lav is something I need to work on as well. I agree that the stick gets in the way. Makes me remember I'm watching TV instead of just being AT the fire.

Thanks a lot!