Camera Cages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy

We are looking at having camera cages installed in our news units. The problem is... We can't spend the $800 per unit. I was wondering if anyone had some photos/video of camera cages installed in your units. Just trying to get an idea of what others are doing.

SmlMktChief

After one photog rolled his unit, the GM decided that we needed cages in our units. He is real tight with money so...I had to design a wodden box that will fit in the back and hold ALL of the equipment, camera, tripod, batteries, tapes etc. I know that there are cages out there for the gear but I didn't check prices because they would not but them anyway. The wooden boxes will work IF we can ever get the engineers to build them. The GM wont let me build them at home...overtime ya'know. Just my view from here.

Jimmy

Thanks... But, I'm looking for something a little more durable. I found a business here in SA that'll build whatever design we bring him. So I just wanted to get a few ideas, then design my own cage.

Say "hey" to Jerry for me.

Jimmy Sena

shoot da parrot

a guy by the name of Dan woods (i think) that works at KUSA sells what looks to be a nice sturdy camera cage.. Prices i'm not sure but i doubt they cost $800

Birdy

Warren, aka Baltimore Shooter, uses one in the back of his van. I think it may be homemade, but is plenty sturdy. Shoot him an email, and maybe he can give you some advice.

Baltimore Shooter:
warrenw@bvatv.com

Baltimore Shooter

Originally posted by BJ:
Warren, aka Baltimore Shooter, uses one in the back of his van. I think it may be homemade, but is plenty sturdy. Shoot him an email, and maybe he can give you some advice.

Baltimore Shooter:
warrenw@bvatv.com
I actually bought my camera cage from Olin Fite in the Dallas area. I got it for $1,000 and it was money well spent. It's bolted to the floor and features a sliding drawer with a quick release plate for your camera (Sony, Panasonic, etc.). I've had mine for 6yrs and I've been very happy with it. Call him at 512-251-4752. Hope that helps.

Warren

KsPhotog

When I was at my former station our handy man built boxes for all of our new jeeps. They all had slide out shelves and locks on the door. It took a while to figure out why my jeep always smelled after I filled it up with gas. Turns out when my lock box was installed, it was bolted into the gas tank!

Baltimore Shooter

Ouch! Getting paid for sniffing gas and driving, LOL!

I double checked BEFORE I drilled holes and bolted it to the floor. taking a look under the vehicle to see where wiring, fuel lines, tanks, etc are located is a wise idea.

Another idea is to have a friend use a snap punch to make a mark where you want to drill. You can get one at Sears for $5 or so. It makes a very small indentation in the metal to aid in drilling so the bit doesn't skate all over the place. The indentation also helps you to see where the hole will go so you don't drill into things like gas tanks.

Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.