caltrops

cyndygreen1

Not a critique...this is a variation on the spiked pieces of wood or welded nails used back during the farmworker strikes in the 70s and 80s...they even used to throw them in front of media cars.

Tom Servo

My main critique is with the writing. "Deadly threat?" Really? A nail in the tire is a deadly threat? OK, who died?

adam

I think you missed an opportunity for a good, multi-part stand-up to show how the smuggler's use the spikes. I'm not sure everyone gets when, how they deploy them. The "deadly weapon" like further confuses it. If you watch Cops, then you know. But if you're 65 years old and tuning in for the weather you might wonder what all the fuss is about.

xtender

I dont think our ND would want us to show how ppl use these...i mean really there isnt much to it...you toss 'em out the window.....the video shows the passenger toss one out...i slowed the video..but i probably should have put a spotlight on the spike as it was tossed....
No one has died yet..but these kind of chases are getting to be a daily event..but yeah...we may have been a little over dramatic about it...

optic

Pretty boring

I agree that a multi part stand-up would have been nice its not like its a "how to" video for police evasion but simply a demonstration of how they are used and the dangers that they can cause or you could at least have thrown the caltrop at the camera (after steps are taken to protect the lens like plexiglass or something) Maybe it is the writing but the story is boring with the exception of the question shouted there were no nat sound breaks. You could use sirens from police video, police car driving up or leaving, even the sound of the caltrop hitting the pavement or did they have video of a cop car hitting these like a tire pop or even audio from dispatch under police video. I liked the shot of the caltrop with shallow DOP and traffic in background but thats the only thing I found interesting with the video, but again this is not necessarily your fault just poor script.