Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

Flaca Productions

Anyone have one? thinking about picking one up for a "weenie cam" - the equivalent of a DV cam or something to plant in a car, the dirty two-shot, etc...

Flaca Productions

Thanks for the link - they look slick.
I agree with one quote from that piece: “It’s nice to have something small for behind-the-scenes shots that you can just slam into your pocket” - that's exactly what i'm looking for. Sort of a Super GoPro.

Necktie Boy

I have been thinking of getting since seeing it at NAB. Like Brian, it makes a great super GoPro or even a b-cam. But the production problems and sensor problem changed my mind. The price is great. The footage is very nice, and as mentioned, raw is available at last. Battery life is not too good, but not a real deal killer.

Been following threads on the Blackmagic board, and leaning the good and the bad about the camera.

I think I will wait and see what Blackmagic has at NAB.

Tv Shooter

I think I will wait and see what Blackmagic has at NAB.
They damn well better have an update for the Cinema Camera to fix the issues that are still in the camera (like the black hole sun, audio, power metering) and they damn well better have the 4K camera they said would be out in July. Granted they didn't say what year.

I own a Blackmagic Cinema camera. It's pretty nice all things considered, but it is NOT a camera you shoot something on and expect to use it without going through color correction. Same with the Pocket Camera. Anything you shoot on it will need to be color corrected in Resolve or Color, otherwise it'll look flat and will not match any other camera. It also does not have actual white balance, it has steps. You can't color match it in the field.

Long as you realize the limitations, it's fine. Read through the threads on the Blackmagic Cinematography forum before buying one, so you'll have a better idea of when to use it.

Again-if you're shooting a piece that's not time sensitive….it's great. Airing that night, or next day? Eh….may be better off with something else.

Tv Shooter

Yes. I shot an interview in Pro Res with the Rec 709, and while it's not flat like RAW, it was just….flat. after about 20 minutes in Resolve, it looked awesome. The camera is designed to be a 'cinema" camera, and thus not meant to be used without color correct.

Ruff

I had one on pre order, but cancelled it after seeing all of the issues with image and battery life.

I figure that they will get it right, but it will take time. Happy to wait.

Focused

I don't have one personally but a colleague has done through 3 already.

1st had no focus control, even on m4/3 lenses that are meant for it.
2nd the white balance would not change.
3rd worked great for a week and then suddenly just stopped powering up.

Thinking he is done with them.

I tried it out for an afternoon while he had a working model. Its an intriguing concept. The small sensor was hard to work with. Very, very narrow field of view. But, there is a specific tool for specific needs. As long as its working and does the job for you, have at it.