Bite of Eugene

Last minute, run and gun, quick and dirty ... are all turning into a common theme for me lately. It's been quite some time since I've had a decent amount of time to put a piece together. Then again that's what we all love about small market news right ... the exhausting pace often caused by a lack of staff and/or common sense. Anyway, this yesterday's unexpected nat-pack.

A taste of local cuisine at the 'Bite of Eugene'

For some reason production didn't use the lower thirds on air so I tossed some on for the web. I thought about cleaning the audio, but left it alone. I'd rather hear what people think about what I can do on a deadline instead of what I can do when I leisurely put something together.

Latin Lens

Wow...Tony this is rough. You say it was shot and edited on a deadline and it showed. There is nothing added to this piece by it being a natpkg...it really doesn't have an angle expect the generic here's a food festival come on down. And if you're behind the curve going into that situation then you're clearly not going to find anything more worthwhile to center your piece around to make it worthy of it being a natpkg and getting a better story out of it. Don't know how you gathered your sound but that band was killing your audio...I would have used a stick mic to cancel some of that noise out so the audio would be cleaner and fade in/out so its not so rough on the ears. Natpkgs are hard to attempt...you really need to find a worthwhile character to center it around to keep it going...95% of natpkgs look like this so its hard to find a meaningful one. But you have to practice so when you do come across one you're ready. You need to establish location of where we are in the world so we can visually get a sense of the scene...find visaully descriptive shots so we can get a sense of what's going on...make them fun and artsy to really draw us in instead of boring wallpaper type shots...take me to the scene the best way possible. Don't stop trying...don't stop working everytime you are out in the field...some days are better than others. You are basically laying a foundation for the day it all comes together....who knows when and where you'll be when that happens. Don't give up...keep trying. Keep getting critiques for a pulse check.