Being prepared

CHIEFPHOTDOG

I just touched base with one of my old shooters who has long since left our station. One thing that he expressed was that we was less than prepared when he left our station. I'm pretty strict when it comes to training I follow a lesson plan which I've established over the years. Each one of my shooters not only gets a copy of my manual but they are tested monthly on and off the field, with that said to my question.

1. Our market is perfect for training, what if anything can I do to prepare them for your station?

2. What are your issues with Newbies?

I'd appreciate any help with this issue.

yellowbeta

My biggest push is to know the basics. You can always teach someone to press the record button, but do they know what the different rings on a lens do. You can show someone how to use avid, but do they know what a jump cut is.

Do you get my drift? Tech can be taught, concepts and ideas need to be learned.

Mr MoOz

Expound a bit? Exactly what was he saying was low? Do you have a copy of your manual to send?
Thanks

CHIEFPHOTDOG

My manual

Section 1: Excerpt from "Laws of Camerwork"
Section 2: Detailed schematic on Profesional camera (Camera,VTR, Lens)
Section 3: 180 rule, anti-profile live diagram
Section 4: Copy of Scott Orr's "Masterpiece"
Section 5: Copy of "Twelve Tips, Trick and Traits: by Les Rose
Section 6: ENG Safety Protocol

I've been compiling this manual for eight years it's thick, but what I can do is send you my check list. I train them and have them initial it as they go. Send me an address and I'll get it out to you.

Mr MoOz

What did he say he was not prepared for? Could be he was alseep the whole time, and just now realized he does not know much and blames you.

Do you guys do critiques? Show n tell on what works?

Necktie Boy

What about people skills?? I have ran into shooters that are rude.
I just ran into that problem a month ago.....He was asked to move the Live Truck...He refused saying it was his right to park in the handycapped(that spelled right?) zone....Then when the reporter arrived, she screamed at my boss.....That station is not welcomed
anymore......

People skills is very important in the field...I was always on my
best behavoir because I represented the station....I feel the same
way at my current position.

LongTimePhotog

Seems odd that he's long since been gone from your station and he feels now that he wasn't prepaired. My guess he wouldn't have gotten the new job in the first place. If he has been gone for a long time why do you feel you have failed him?

CHIEFPHOTDOG

Shooter Bio

This guys pretty mellow and easy to get along with. When he came to us he was a little quiet but we helped him along. I've kept in contact and he's doing very well, he did have a rough patch when he got to his new station but his Chief worked with him and got him up to speed. Here's what I'm asking when photogs send you tapes what are the factors in which you make your decisions. At my level, I can't be to peeky, so I basically look for those who can be creative and have that eye for video, they normally don't have a tape so I let them borrow a camera and have them shoot me a story by way of video. If their creative and they have the drive, I can handle the rest.

David R. Busse

Good topic here.

I would suggest that the mantra among all chief photographers should be “hire for attitude, train for competence.”

You can’t beat an employee with a good attitude. News photographers in this day and age should be team players first and foremost. Second, they should think of themselves as journalists, and should be encouraged in that role by their chief photographers and mentors. A photographer who sits around waiting for great assignments will never get them, and a photographer who helps formulate story ideas, who pitches ideas to the desk and reporters and who takes ownership in the execution of such ideas will, in time, become the person reporters fight to work with.

That said, I’d suggest the role of a small market chief photographer is to instill all the above (a work in progress) and to train for competence. Teach the basics of news photography, visual storytelling and the mechanics of the craft (cameras, lighting, editing, microwave), and encourage all of it to be second nature.

As you move up in the business, speed is also important. A good photographer in a large market knows every short cut in the book and learns new ones all the time…and uses them. And the on-air product looks like no short cuts were taken in any of it. Strive not for perfection but for a product that is "perfect as it can be" given the constraints of time and resources...worry about things out of your control and you are asking for migraines, high blood pressure and burnout. Been there, done that.

Finally, Wayne Freedman’s book “It Takes More Than Good Looks” should be required reading in all newsrooms large and small, for everyone.

jmiku

Section 1: Excerpt from "Laws of Camerwork"
Section 2: Detailed schematic on Profesional camera (Camera,VTR, Lens)
Section 3: 180 rule, anti-profile live diagram
Section 4: Copy of Scott Orr's "Masterpiece"
Section 5: Copy of "Twelve Tips, Trick and Traits: by Les Rose
Section 6: ENG Safety Protocol

I've been compiling this manual for eight years it's thick, but what I can do is send you my check list. I train them and have them initial it as they go. Send me an address and I'll get it out to you.
CHIEFPHOTODOG,

Is there any way possible to get a copy of your manual? Please let me know. I have also sent you a PM. Thanks John

SandRat

Three point lighting.

Understanding of Kelvin temps.

Troubleshooting.

Journalism.

First Amendment rights.

Basic camera maintenance.

Eaglewolf

this guy has got a lot to learn.........

I just ran into that problem a month ago.....He was asked to move the Live Truck...He refused saying it was his right to park in the handycapped(that spelled right?) zone....Then when the reporter arrived, she screamed at my boss.....That station is not welcomed
anymore......
Just aired my sweeps story on people who park illeagly in handycapped parking.........did a few ride alongs with handycapped folks who were anxious to illustrate the fact that most people aren't concerned for the rights of the handycapped....a real eye opener.
Next time you see this person violating the law in this manner, CALL the cops. Maybe a $250-$500 ticket my change his thinking.
Sorry to get out of context on this very informative thread, but whoever this shooter is, needs to be quickly informed.

Dedline

don't take this the wrong way, but moving from a market like Yuma to a larger market could have shocked him a bit. same could happen moving from a small independent to a bleeding, leading station that has a higher workload and a number of stories (like ambushes) that he's never had experience with.