Bebob LUX LED 40 Review & Pictures

Mike@kennedys

Here are some pictures of the Bebob LUX LED 40 prototype that was in our store for a demo. If you look past all of the scratches and dings that go along with being a prototype, what you’ll find is very compelling. I put it next to a Lightpanels 1x1 Spot and a Kino Diva 200 w/ daylight lamps. The LUX LED 40 was at least a stop hotter than either the Kino or the Lightpanels in a (very unscientific) spot meter test.

This light is built in a robust form factor. The manufacturer says you can use it in the rain with no problem….but adds that you should cover it in a hurricane….and covering it is possible due to it’s low heat output. In the pictures you can see the dimmer wheel, the spot/flood knob, and the battery mount currently occupied by an IDX E-80 Endura battery. Not pictured are the 4pin XLR input and the on/off switch.

Keep in mind this is a prototype and the actual sales model will be shiny and new and will include barn doors. Also included will be your choice of V-Mount, Gold-Mount, or PAG mount as standard features. Unlike other battery powered fixtures that charge extra for the battery mount.

The price point is another impressive feature. List is $1395. Map is $1255. Kennedy's will be selling them below MAP, but my dealership agreement prevents me from posting that price here. They are currently accepting orders, but delivery hasn’t yet been achieved, although it is expected very soon.

There is also an even more powerful LUX LED 60 in development. I’m looking forward to examining that fixture as well. I’ll probably see it at NAB. Its pricing information is as follows: $1995 List. $1825 MAP

Attachments

Last edited:
Shoot I knew there was something else I wanted to check out when I was there on Monday. What Kind of Light does it throw. I wonder what putting a Fresnel type lens on the front would do to that.

ISDV

PRO user
Here is a video from Bebob's portable lights on Vimeo.

I saw the LUX-LED12 at my dealers place two weeks ago, and must say it's a nice setup. First I thought it was made of some cheap plastic, but after seeing and playing with it I have to admit that it's a durable piece of equipment. At the moment I'm even thinking of selling my Anton Bauer Ultralight2 kit and getting such a Bebob LUX-LED12 or 16 light for my XDCAM HD. With the AB UL2 on, my XDCAM is always very thirsty. By the way, does anyone know if I can use LED bulbs in my UL2?

Too bad it's only spoken in German. For me no problem :p but for the most of you ... :D

http://www.vimeo.com/1308271

skeyworth

ISDV-
There are a couple of LED lamps that fit into the UL2 housing. If the lamp says it is MR-16 compatible then it should fit. A TV a station in Portland, OR is using them. It is a tight fit, but works. They can be found on the web.

This in NOT an endorsement or a recommendation. It is just letting you know what is out there.

Scott Keyworth
Anton/Bauer

Mike@kennedys

more

What Kind of Light does it throw. I wonder what putting a Fresnel type lens on the front would do to that.
It pumps out 5600K. It has a nice throw & spread. It acts just like a small HMI. I just got off the phone with the product rep and he says there will not be a lens selection like you would find in an HMI box. Just the frosted glass on front. There will be some kind of gel frame and of course the barn door.

It pumps out 5600K. It has a nice throw & spread. It acts just like a small HMI. I just got off the phone with the product rep and he says there will not be a lens selection like you would find in an HMI box. Just the frosted glass on front. There will be some kind of gel frame and of course the barn door.
Hmm sorry to hear that from what I have seen with the led lights they are really promising but I would probably want something with a lens option for a little more punch. Though I am not really looking to add fixtures at the moment and things are changing pretty fast in that arena anyways.