BBC reporter losing it

aussie

A Journalist at Panorama, the BBC's flagship current affairs series, has been reprimanded for losing his temper and screaming with rage during the making of an investigation into the Church of Scientology.

John Sweeney has apologised for the outburst against a scientologist which was filmed and then put on the video-sharing website YouTube, prompting criticism of the corporation. The BBC held an internal inquiry but said Sweeney had not breached any guidelines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxqR5NPhtLI

cameradog

Linkies:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Damn this is one weird bunch. Part 3 in particular gets really weird when the Scientologists actually follow Sweeney and his crew to the toilet to keep them from having a moment alone to discuss editorial matters without the Scientologists' own cameras in their faces. That screaming bit is in part 3 as well, showing a bit more of the context.

After seeing the show, I fully understand why Sweeney was screaming and what he was trying to accomplish. I don't think he actually lost his temper. Every time Sweeney had tried to ask that little twit questions, the twit had interrupted him by raising his voice louder. All Sweeney was doing was showing him that if he wanted to turn it into a shouting match, Sweeney would win. Now the Scientologists are spreading that clip far and wide to try to discredit Sweeney.

The PR twit even showed up and actually interrupted an interview to discredit the person Sweeney was interviewing. How would you react to something like that?

SimonW

I couldn't believe it when the Tom Cruise lookalike wannabe interrupted that interview.

What amazes me too is how the Scientologists spread false information about people being child molesters etc and get away with it. The FBI reckons that their intelligence network is almost as advanced as theirs! That is extremely frightening.

cameradog

I couldn't believe it when the Tom Cruise lookalike wannabe interrupted that interview.
I thought the same thing. Doesn't that guy seem like Tom Cruise's nerdy younger brother? I wonder if he modeled himself on Cruise, or it was just coincidence.