batteries4broadcast??

micaelb

Anyone use these batteries or have a lot of experiance with Lithium Ion battery chemistry?

I'm looking at buying some and was curious about these because of the price compared to the nicads and nimh batteries we use now.

https://www.batteries4broadcast.com/battery2_ab_pop.htm

I know and trust what I use now but these are much lighter and much cheaper so I'm wondering if it's time to change.

Dedline

Dont know about that site, but here are some other companies to look at

Anton Bauer (experienced with Lithium Ion but expensive and seeming more like Avid in their attitude and business practices lately)
IDX Batteries (I don't know anything except this companies name I've heard others call them pretty reasonable)
Syngergistic Batteries (new player in the broadcast battery market but have been making batteries for years. I know FOX NYC bought bunch of lithium ions and rated them highly. I tested them and they were very good and reasonable and they were hungry for business. Also an impressive 11amps per battery where most are around 6 I think)
Frezzi (known mostly for their mini fill on camera lights, they have been selling batteries for quite awhile and are also reasonable, though their lithium ions are a new product)
Hope this helps, I would say contact them directly and ask for a demo battery and charger. Tell them what camera they're for and how high wattage a bulb you can put on your on camera light. I also need batteries to power a laptop DVCPro editor, so I had to ask them about that.

Hope this helps.

canuckcam

Anton/Bauer has always been snobbish. When IDX and Sony had their Lithium batteries out for years, their statement was that it was an unproven battery chemistry. I think they were just trying to recoup the R&D on their Hytron series before coming out with the Dionics. Now that being said, their batteries are built quite well.

Aspen batteries were absorbed into Anton/Bauer.

There's also PAG batteries in the UK.

Switronix as a startup company a few years ago makes decent batteries for wedding and event shooters - I don't know how they stand up to ENG, because their physical build isn't as solid as say, an AB brick.

When Switronix first started, they bought batteries from a Chinese company called Swit Electronics but have apparently since gone separate ways. Swit powers some of the cameras on CCTV, the Chinese state TV as far as I've heard.

That's all I can think of right now.

dinosaur

All of these secondary market li-on batteries are all made by http://www.blbattery.com/en/video.asp in China. There are various dealers in the USA putting their own brand lablel on them. I've seen them priced as low as $800. for 2 160w/h li-on batteries with a two station charger. An A/B charger will not charge them. This is a fairly good deal compared to A/B Dionics, BUT you are not getting the great support, service and warranty that A/B provides. Just buyer beware and understand that you usually get what you pay for.
I will probably buy a set to give them a tryout.

Hey Guys, I'm Kevin and I am the owner of Batteries4Broadcast.com I just wanted to jump in and say Hi. And give a quick intro to our batteries. My main gig is I have a production company down in South Florida and have been shooting for 15 years. I have a D30/PVV3 Betacam, DSR-500, and HDW-700A, HDCAM this camera sucks up 40Watts! So my 65Wh bricks were no match. So I set out to find a battery to run that beast! I looked @ the Dionic 150 but at $950.00 each I kept looking. I found the manufacture of these batteries, Ordered samples 7 months ago and have been happy with performance and price. So I'm making a go at selling them and intend to stand behind them. They have a 1-year warranty. There not fancy, no automatic power gauges etc. but they are inexpensive (not cheap!). In the end all Li-ion batteries have a life of between 400-500 charging cycles. And then you need a new one. So at the end of the day 150Wh is a 150Wh the only difference is if you paid $300 for the battery or $900. So here's my offer, if your interested buy them from me, if you hate them return them within 2 weeks and I'll give you a full refund.

Here's my contact sales@batteries4broadcast.com

I have 2&4 channel chargers and batteries in 90, 120, and 150 watt hour models. AB and V-Mount.

Thanks! Kevin
www.Batteries4Broadcast.com

Baltimore Shooter

Kevin, I checked out your site. Nice stuff. But I don't see any pics of the A/B style batts from different angles.

Do you need an adapter for your batts to work w/ an A/B setup or are they a one piece unit? Also, the A/B style you have pictured, what are the dimensions, are they the same size as a Pro Pac or a Trimpac?

And the "Buy Now" graphic covers some of the important information. All I can read is "6Ah/90". 90 what? And how do they compare toa Trimpac, Pro pac, Hydron, Dionic, etc.

One and a half to two and a half pounds per battery? Wow, that's pretty good.

The Np-1 style - inof is also covered up by the "Buy Now" graphic. Is there an adapter that allows this batt to be used w/ an audio mixer, like an FP33? And if so, how long would it run the mixer and how much does it weigh?

Thanks Kevin.

Warren

Run 'n' Get 'em

Bal. Shooter... You must have your monitor set to a small resolution... I can see all the info on my laptop at 1280x800...

Model Number AM-4060
Mount: Anton Bauer Type
Color: Gray
Type: Li-ion
Capacity: 6Ah/90Wh
Weight: 1lb 8oz.
Price: $185.00

Model Number AM-4080
Color: Grey
Capacity: 8Ah/120Wh
Weight: 2lb
Price: $295.00

Model Number AM-4010
Color: Grey
Capacity: 10Ah/150Wh
Weight: 2lb 8oz.
Price: $325.00

Warren, The AB mount batteries are self-contained, no adapter needed. The 90Wh battery is 4". wide X 6" tall and 1.5in. deep, (not including the studs) the 120 & 150Wh batteries are the same dimensions except 2" deep. Sorry about the website, I shoot better than I spin websites, hope to re-do the site soon. I sell a cord that plugs into the powertap connector on the battery and you can put any connector you want on the other end.

Here's a picture of the mount side:

Any more questions, let me know!

Thanks, Kevin

[ December 07, 2005, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: BatteryMan ]

Baltimore Shooter

Just one more question Kevin,

With the Np-1 style, is there an adapter that allows this battery to be used w/ an audio mixer, like an FP33? And if so, how long would it run the mixer and how much does it weigh?

Thanks,
Warren

Warren, I don't sell any power adapters except the powertap type cord that plugs into the battery/camera. On the other hand all the batteries we sell have and additional connector (Coaxial DC Power Plug) pretty much the same connector that the FP33 uses for external power. The specs for the FP33 give it an operating range from 12v-18v so it should work fine. A trip to Radio Shack and a steady hand behind a soldering iron and your up and running, probably for days as the FP33 will run 8 hours on 2 9volt batteries, and the NP-1 batteries are 60 Wh! If I have time this weekend, maybe I'll try to build one, I've got an FP33 so it's worth a shot.

Kevin

[ December 09, 2005, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: BatteryMan ]