bagpod

Dedline

the website...the review.... no where do I see a price... how much??

duhhhh.... $80. too much to try out for me. let me know anyone what you think. like the idea of having a little pocket in there, would be good for summer when I dont have the usual pockets all over me

[ March 21, 2003, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Dedline ]

Nooze Hound

I'm thinking about buying the bagpod. I'm not sure when EXACTLY I'll get it. But when I do and get to use it. I'll be sure to give an honest review.

L

<Lil__Chief>

I've been using the bagpod for about 2 months now. It's a little pricey, but in my opinion VERY much worth the money for your off-the-shoulder shooting needs. I would suggest that you keep it loose and THEN adjust the strap when you put it on though, otherwise you're stuck SQUEEZING through the small loop in the strap that you have to make so that it fits right under your arm. Once it's on though, it works great. If you shoot sports (ESPECIALLY FOOTBALL!), this thing could save major wear and tear on your back and shoulders. I've also taken it off and used it as a steadibag to get some good low-angle stuff.

The pockets aren't very big, so don't get any kind of ideas about ditching your run bag, but the large pocket has enough room for me to stash an extra DVC-Pro tape (which fits like a glove, by the way) and a small Hytron 50 battery. The front mesh pocket holds my IFB, spare 9-volts and AAs, a backup earpiece and a few miscellaneous adapters. Or I can ditch the spare tape and my lav mic fits in very easily.

The bag also has a loop on the bottom where you can either carry an XLR cable or (as I have done a lot lately), it works really well in adding stability to off-the-shoulder live shots. One tip though - if you use this bottom loop to hold your XLR cable, make sure you clip your cell phone to your LEFT side instead of your right. Otherwise your cell will snag on the cable the whole time, and that'll REALLY get on your nerves. :mad:

All in all, good product. I'm glad I ordered one and if you have the money to get a new toy, I'd recommend it.

Happy shooting...

shootist

PRO user
Bought a Bagpod a few months ago with one purpose in mind: The NFL season.

I've been shooting football for 20+ years and have never had any real problems. Yeah...my back might be a little tired by the end of a game but not to any REAL discomfort.

That changed when I picked up a new gig. When the Steelers opened Heinz Field, I got involved with the scoreboard crew. It's a five camera shoot with a full production staff covering the game live with replays etc. etc. I run the one sideline camera.

Well...two years ago after the first day shooting, I was INCREDIBLY sore. My back was so freaking tight, I couldn't stand straight the next day.

It was then that I figured out why. Game time was 1:00. But I didn't shoot 1p-4p with a break for a halftime lunch...I didn't put the camera down and stretch during the TV timeouts.

What I did was put the camera on my shoulder at 10:00am and take it off my shoulder some tme after 4:00pm. Shot all through pre-game...every commercial break...half-time events...final two-minute time-out fest...finally for post-game it goes on a tripod...then tear-down. The killer shots were following the QB breaking huddle to the line from 80 yards away...every jitter magnified on the biggest scoreboard screen around.

After the game...my left lattisimus was a crying, petrified knot of muscle. Throw in HS football on Fridays and Pitt on Saturdays...and it looked to be a long season.

The second season was less painful due to increased strength training.

This year...enter the Bagpod. I've only shot two games thus far...and I was going to wait to give a review...but I don't need to wait.

This product is a Godsend! At the end of the first game I seriously would have had no problem doing another! It takes almost all the stress off that back muscle. The feeling of having the strap around your left shoulder takes about five minutes to get used to...after that, everything feels very natural. The ability to "settle in" to the bag and let IT do the work has dramatically improved the stability of my video on those long shots but in no way interferes with plays that literally end at my feet (as a monopod may).

I haven't used it for daily ENG so features as pocket size or cable straps are immaterial to me. But if you're screaming for Advil and calling your massage therapist on your way home from a long shoot...think about Bagpod...

Scott "shootist" Dobson
WPXI-TV

[ August 24, 2003, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: shootist ]

news-shooter

Just got a bagpod about 2 months ago and while it's useful for handheld shooting, it can't replace a tripod. I find my shots are just as shaky handheld with the bagpod as without, however...I can shoot much longer without my right shoulder aching. Overall I would recommend it. $80 bucks is a little steep, though

B

<Bagpod>

Originally posted by news-shooter:
Just got a bagpod about 2 months ago and while it's useful for handheld shooting, it can't replace a tripod. I find my shots are just as shaky handheld with the bagpod as without, however...I can shoot much longer without my right shoulder aching. Overall I would recommend it. $80 bucks is a little steep, though
Dear News-Shooter,

Thanks for the review, we are glad the Bagpod Camera Support is allowing you to shoot for longer periods of time without the aches and pains. The Bagpod Camera Support is not designed to replace a tripod. Our team of experienced photographers designed this camera support to maximize your product in situations where your tripod isn't a practical option - rallies, protests, many sporting events, spot news...

News-Shooter, be sure the Bagpod Camera Support is properly positioned behind your shooting arm's tricep, between your arm and torso. Try positioning your feet one slightly in front of the other and allow your camera's weight to squeeze the support between your arm and body. You're body is now tripod-like minimizing camera shake.

Stay in touch!
Ryan @ Bagpod
www.bagpod.com

b-roll

Administrator
Staff member
David Hendrickson of Fort Smith, AR has won our latest giveaway. He'll soon be styling with a new bagpod.

We'll have more giveaways to come, so stay tuned.

CONGRATULATIONS DAVID!

kev

queen of blue

Ok, so this may seem like a silly question - But do women have any difficulties using the Bagpod? It looks to me as like the way it wraps the body may make it unfeasable for a female photog.

Well, one that is more ummmmmmmmm "well-endowed" than I am anyway. It looks like I might just be a tad bit uncomfortable, whereas somebody else may not be able to use it.

I've been thinking I might put a Bagpod on my Christmas wish list - so I'd be interested in knowing if there are any women out there using it.

Sore Shoulder

Originally posted by queen of blue:

Well, one that is more ummmmmmmmm "well-endowed" than I am anyway. It looks like I might just be a tad bit uncomfortable, whereas somebody else may not be able to use it.
My friend is getting one. He said I could use/try it when he's not using it. I'll let you know as soon as I have any info.
I never paid attention before, but part of it looks like it goes right where my boob (oops, brest) is.

raincover

the bagpod is ok. i find that it is a bit too stiff.if it were just a little bigger and softer, then we would be on to something. there is a difference between a bagpod and a steadybag...a combination of the two would be perfect...i ran my bagpod over with my newscar and that seemed to help.

shoot da parrot

I got a bag pod and am pretty happy with it. I did shave the hard edges of the foam down to a rounded edge, i found the hard edges cutting off blood flow and putting my arm to sleep. It is however not good for low angle (steady bag) like shots, it's way to rigid to hold the camera still.

(Sin)ical

A second version? I'm curious if anyone has tried this product in a car, or some other limited space?

I got the Bagpod for last football season, and it was never comfortable. Either it numbed my arm or was so loose it caused back pain. I wrote the manufacturer for help, and they didn't have any other ideas. It now resides under the backseat of my truck.