Avid to DVD

micaelb

This might be a lot easier then I think it is but I'm a novice when it comes to burning DVDs. We have a lot of requests for DVDs of stories so I bought a burner but I don't know the steps to get my sequence to the disc.
I don't need anything fancy, just the story on the disc.
Simple plain English steps would be nice.
I'm using Newscutter XP and a HP external burner if that makes a difference.
Thanks.

Necktie Boy

If I'm correct....You have to render the timeline as a avi. file or qt. Then with DVD software create the DVD. A better way might have been to get a stand-alone DVD Burner and burn the stories. Most have a firewire port to import the video.

shootist

PRO user
we picked up a <$100 rca burner for just that purpose.

we have an "sd connect" transcoder for getting tape in/out of avid. all we do is take analog video/audio out of the transcoder to the rca inputs (on the...rca....)

hit record on the burner and play the timeline on newscutter. straight real time "dub".

AB

Kind of on the same topic

I'm not a computer guy or gear head so I need a little help.

I'm cutting on an Adrenaline HD. I've noticed in the export menu there is an option for "ipod".

I haven't had much time to mess around with it, but what would be the steps for converting and putting a clip into your ipod?

zac love

That would be correct...You can export your project to an IPod....
now I haven't mess w/ any "Avid iPod" settings, but keep in mind that iPod videos only play limited video formats and that an iPod can also work as a portable data hard drive

so Avid might be converting your timeline to play on your iPod video, or Avid might just be exporting the data as a back up, the same way it would export to a thumb drive.

now going back to the thread topic, Avid to DVD...

assuming that you want a DVD video disc that will play on a standard DVD player...

the easiest way (as mentioned before) would be to play the video in real time out a stand alone DVD burner / player. (you can find these at any Best Buy, Target...) they work 96% the same as a VCR

the "pro" way to go would be to export your sequence to Quicktime (or some other uncompressed format), then import that video file into a program like DVD Studio Pro. then you can add chapters, menus, buttons, the works. build, format & burn. you have a nice looking DVD.

I'm not sure what software came w/ your burner, but hopefully there is a program that can at least make a simple DVD from most video formats

although keep in mind that DVDs compress thier video, so if you want a high quality copy of your video you should just burn your uncompressed video to a Data-DVD so you don't lose any quality